Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: July GOTM

And some more photos...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC7204.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	245.2 KB 
ID:	36221   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC7205.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	219.2 KB 
ID:	36222   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC7211.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	36223  

2. Liked by: Tadhg

Impressive work on that paint job!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Glad I am not voting. I would be like "they all win".

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Here is my TB4 that i finished during June. The body and headstock are painted with Duplicolor Metallic Red with Duplicolor clearcoat. The pickguard is Duplicolor metallic black and the back of the neck was stained with black stain then distressed and finished with satin polyurethane. All parts are from the kit. Really enjoyed building this and I want to do another bass, this time a 5 string. Thank you everyone!!

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	306.7 KB 
ID:	36252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	286.4 KB 
ID:	36253   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Size:	290.8 KB 
ID:	36254   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	238.5 KB 
ID:	36255  

Wow some absolutely stunning entries this month - wouldn't want to be a judge.
    Tony

Tl 12f

I thought I would do a 12 string as the kit I really wanted (a tele thinline) was on backorder. I hadnt done a natural finish before so I got some danish oil and proceeded to coat and wipe off three times. It really brought out the grain on the flame maple veneer. It is good not to wait for a month to finish it off as I had to do with poly and acrylic before.

I did not upgrade much except a new scratch plate from realtone that would fit the tonerider AC2 humbucker with the aim to split the coils using a 250k pot. I ordered a bone nut as an upgrade but the kit actually came with one. A few issues with the bridge that has been documented in other builds but I have got it playing quite well with the lovely jangly sound you expect from a 12 string. Here are the pics.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	262.8 KB 
ID:	36256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	291.1 KB 
ID:	36257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Size:	220.3 KB 
ID:	36258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	285.0 KB 
ID:	36259   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	36260  

Build 1 AGM-1
    Build 2 TLA-1
    Build 3 ES-3
    Build 4 TL-12F
    Build 5 ST-1

TL 12F a few more pics

A few more pics to finish off.

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	36262   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	36261  
    Build 1 AGM-1
    Build 2 TLA-1
    Build 3 ES-3
    Build 4 TL-12F
    Build 5 ST-1

Howdy folks!! Wow, look at the quality and workmanship in this post. So much care has been taken and it is great to see those beautiful pieces of work. This is my first build (more to come!) and my first bass ever, so I am wrapped. I am not a bassist, but I recently wrote an album during lockdown and it needs a bass track. My wife had already decided to get me a bass for my birthday, so the timing was perfect!! Usually I use bass samples or software synths in my music, but this album needs the real deal.

I constantly struggle with finding the time to make jewellery and time to play music. So I thought I would combine the two and make an art piece which also plays music. So for someone who doesn’t appreciate music, but does appreciate art, will enjoy it on their wall. But for someone who has no appreciation for art, but loves to play music, can use it as an instrument. Multi-faceted and nimble. Strong, yet soft.

I am stoked with the result and have really enjoyed the process. I've learnt so much. The support I have received from this forum (and from Pitbull) has been incredible and without all of your help I would probably still be building it. So here is a BIG SHOUT OUT to the crew - you know who you are and thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Apologies for the sneaky last-minute entry, it was not intentional, purely coincidental as my strings arrived today - see link to my build below and you will feel the pain I have been enduring haha!! Luckily Perth is 2 hours behind Melbourne so I still have an hour to submit. Classic all-nighter ...

True to my word, this plays really well. No fret buzz, action is great, intonation 99% good (man these floating bridges are tricky!), and all the wiring is 100%. There is an additional button which I installed, which turns the blue LED in the back control box. This serves absolutely no purpose, but the positive emotions it gives me far outweighs that side-thought! I have also custom made the buttons, scratch plates, control panel cover, truss rod cover, tuning pegs and button sleeves. I did not cut the head-stock, but did some resin art instead. The body has approximately 60 coats of shellac, French Polished over a 2 day period. Frets leveled, re-crowned and polished.

Enough of the rant. Now for the grand unveil .... I give you ... "SHteemPnK Classic" DHB-5 Semi Hollow 5 String Bass ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E5204.JPG 
Views:	645 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	36288

Name:	IMG_5210.JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	36289

Name:	IMG_5206.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	36290

Name:	IMG_5208.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	36291

Name:	IMG_5209.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	36292
    ~~ love through art ~~
    Build 1: DHB-5 Semi-Hollow Electric Bass https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ad.php?t=10621
    Build 2: GSM-1 Electric Guitar https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ad.php?t=10714

One more for good measure

Name:	IMG_5212.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	36293
    ~~ love through art ~~
    Build 1: DHB-5 Semi-Hollow Electric Bass https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ad.php?t=10621
    Build 2: GSM-1 Electric Guitar https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ad.php?t=10714

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Gorgeous build. Very stiff competition this month, once again glad I'm not a judge.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast