Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: DMS-1 - mustang/duo-sonic short scale

DMS-1 - mustang/duo-sonic short scale

Well......this year i said i would go without my annual christmas present of a new build.....
    just upgrade the ones youve built already and enjoy those ones...i said to myself.....

well, i did that and had a blast but that only lasted 6 months

THE JOURNEY SO FAR.......
    i used to think i was a fender kind of guy
    played with a strat for ever....didnt think that i could try different types of guitars...
    - super comfortable body.....but pickups were just thin....you know?

then i thought i would try and be a telly sort of guy
    - cool tough dudes play teles with humbuckers.....you know? this guitar is still my best guitar. humbuckers converted me to being a humbucker guy for life but the body was a little uncomfortable and the lead coming out of the bottom of the guitar just made it harder to play slouching on the couch.....(my standard position for guitar playing)

Then I thought id try my hand at being a gibson style dude, gibson type necks, 3 a side headstocks and humbuckers....the real cool blues and rockers play gibson style guitars.... maybe im that kind of guy?

The LP style was just awesome, my fingers could stretch a little further as the scale length was a tad shorter.
    Body smaller and more comfortable to play & i could slouch on the couch and noodle. I thought i had it all....but it was just a little heavy.
    And the thing just didnt have the tuning stability that the fender style head stock had even though i put fancy rotomatics on it. I think that once you get used to the fender style headstock where it is always in tune/never goes out of tune other style headstocks just dont provide that ease anymore.
    (small diversions ensued as i tried other style bodies and necks......hollow LP styles and 335 style guitars.....all great but im just not that guy, you know?)

Soooooo
    I thought my search could be solved with a mosrite style. this was a three a side flat style headstock and a thinner, lighter body. i really am in love with that one.
    Zero fret, it has a mini humbucker in the neck and i put a SD johnny ramone pickup in the bridge (WOW does that sound good). This guitar is really really great, smaller and lighter body meant that it was more comfortable and i could slouch on the couch and play as the lead comes out the front of the guitar not the bottom like the Telly and LP.......

but i still wasnt there.....perhaps im just not a johnny ramone cranky type guitar dude. i missed the neck humbucker, the zero fret makes a click sound when i do my many ultra bends..... and i still hadnt solved the tuning stability issues (better but not solved) completely are the only faults i have with this guitar....it is a real cracker of a guitar!

I have been researching SG's for a while but the headstock was a no-go.

So here i am with a wish list:
    -fender style headstock
    -short scale length
    -small and light body
    -lead that comes out the front of the body
    -humbuckers

enter stage left....the DMS-1 (mustang, duo-sonic style).
    i think i might be a mustang kind of guy, i kept telling myself.....now it is June and i have sucumbed. How weak am I

I am destined to build one guitar every year for the rest of my life. I am now at ease with my lot in life.

Delivery is some time today as Mr Postman has texted me to advise of such.
    Build diary commenced.
    Pictures to follow soon.......

I have been looking at that kit as well. I love F-style guitars (have a G&L, building a tele), but the long scale and resulting higher string tension is annoying sometimes.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

3. Liked by: OliSam

All fits together! Neck is a tiny bit wobbly butwont be noticeable after screwing it all in.
    On the website the scratchguard was white pearloid and fretboard maple.
    This is red pearloid and rosewood fretboard. AND I LIKE IT BETTER !!!!!

OMG. It is one piece!!!! One piece!!

Grain looks great!!!!

Looks like everything is in the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One piece? Score! Looks like some gnarly grain to fill, but should be awesome. Please tell me you aren't planning a solid colour.

I don't think a mustang looks quite right without the red pickguard, but personally I never want to deal with engineered rosewood again. It has been too much hassle on my tele build.
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

I had some serious considerations getting one of these.

The 'engineered rosewood' would probably put some off.
    First thing I would do however would be to remove all the frets, radius and then grain fill the crap out of it.

Then of course...they've run out of stock.

Good luck with it all the same. Would be good to see one finished.

cheers, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    One piece? Score! Looks like some gnarly grain to fill, but should be awesome. Please tell me you aren't planning a solid colour.

I don't think a mustang looks quite right without the red pickguard, but personally I never want to deal with engineered rosewood again. It has been too much hassle on my tele build.
    No solid colours for me. Ill colour up some timbermate and then tru oil the body and neck! Yay for guitars!

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    I had some serious considerations getting one of these.

The 'engineered rosewood' would probably put some off.
    First thing I would do however would be to remove all the frets, radius and then grain fill the crap out of it.

Then of course...they've run out of stock.

Good luck with it all the same. Would be good to see one finished.

cheers, Mark.
    Radius? Dude youre a legend but My skills are taxed out just finishing it the “normal” way.
    Ps: website says on backorder but i clicked through and made the order anyway. It worked. Go figure....

Quote Originally Posted by OliSam View Post
    Radius? Dude youre a legend but My skills are taxed out just finishing it the “normal” way.
    Ps: website says on backorder but i clicked through and made the order anyway. It worked. Go figure....

I guess stock arrived and was dispatched before the website got updated. It doesn't appear to run directly from an inventory database, unless the database is not updated.

Quote Originally Posted by OliSam View Post
    Radius? Dude youre a legend
    Cheers oli...not 'legend' more like 'gumptious'.
    There's actually not a lot to it once you have a try.

I did actually see the maple neck version on e-bay listed as 'last one' out of 4 sold.
    So Dan...do ya feel lucky?

Well DO YA?

edit: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pit-Bull...frcectupt=true

Not feeling lucky enough. Plus my next build is going to be a short scale bass.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast