Thread: Here we go again! (IB-5)

Here we go again! (IB-5)

Just before completing my JB-4 project (made for my daughter), I decided to pull the trigger on an IB-5 for myself.

After it arrived, I excitedly opened the box, and made sure everything was there, and it would all fit - my main concern is with the output jack not fitting into it's home. However, after reading a few other threads from people who have worked on IB-4 kits, the general consensus is to get a 12/13mm drill bit (not spade), a piece of so-sized dowel with some sandpaper around it, or a round file to work around the hole evenly to widen it slightly.

Other than this, so far...so good.

I've spent some time working out where the Centre line is, and working out where the bridge goes. I've already touched the sides of the pickup cavities with sandpaper so that the pickups will fit, and then promptly taped them up for the painting stage.
    I had a look at the back and quickly worked out I wasn't keen on the control cavity cover sitting proud, so I've traced out the outline of it, and worked out I'd need to rout out about 2mm of material around the cavity so that it'll sit flush.

I have a router, however, I feel that it is simply far too big to be considered anything but overkill for this job. That being said, I'm waiting until I get a slightly smaller router to do the job before having a go at that one.

Plan is for this to be finished in a deep green colour, with a bit of a metallic "fleck" through the finishing coats. I'm keen to make use of the air compressor I scored for Christmas!

At this point, I think the only question I can think of is if anyone has worked with an IB-5, or an IB-4 kit and done something similar with the control cavity cover? Do you have any tips to pass onto someone before they make a terrible mistake?!

Nice!

ive done an ib-4 kit, a few problems that i came across were:

the stock bridge was pretty bad in the final set up, i upgraded to a schaller bridge which was much better

The nut is also terrible and swapped it out for a tunsk

yeah the control cavity is a bit annoying but i didn't fix that

the input hole isn't big enough but no real drama

if you want to swap out the pickups as i did you will most likely have to make your own pickup rings, not the easiest thing to do and i ended up getting a user on this forum to 3d print for me (really lucky and very grateful)

its a great kit and play it all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Just before completing my JB-4 project (made for my daughter), I decided to pull the trigger on an IB-5 for myself.

After it arrived, I excitedly opened the box, and made sure everything was there, and it would all fit - my main concern is with the output jack not fitting into it's home. However, after reading a few other threads from people who have worked on IB-4 kits, the general consensus is to get a 12/13mm drill bit (not spade), a piece of so-sized dowel with some sandpaper around it, or a round file to work around the hole evenly to widen it slightly.

Other than this, so far...so good.

I've spent some time working out where the Centre line is, and working out where the bridge goes. I've already touched the sides of the pickup cavities with sandpaper so that the pickups will fit, and then promptly taped them up for the painting stage.
    I had a look at the back and quickly worked out I wasn't keen on the control cavity cover sitting proud, so I've traced out the outline of it, and worked out I'd need to rout out about 2mm of material around the cavity so that it'll sit flush.

I have a router, however, I feel that it is simply far too big to be considered anything but overkill for this job. That being said, I'm waiting until I get a slightly smaller router to do the job before having a go at that one.

Plan is for this to be finished in a deep green colour, with a bit of a metallic "fleck" through the finishing coats. I'm keen to make use of the air compressor I scored for Christmas!

At this point, I think the only question I can think of is if anyone has worked with an IB-5, or an IB-4 kit and done something similar with the control cavity cover? Do you have any tips to pass onto someone before they make a terrible mistake?!
    I did a similar thing https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...?t=9735&page=3

i had thought the do this with a small palm router, but wth templating it up and trying to find a way to keep the router stable while cutting, I decided it was not safe to do with an unforgiving power tool.
    so I ended up screwing the cover into place and marking around it with a marking knife, removing it then using a sharp chisel to pare the body edge to the knife mark. I got it down to a level where the cover sat flush to the body and then added the cutout to allow for ease of removal
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.