Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: DMS-1 - mustang/duo-sonic short scale

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Holy crap. I am so seriously tempted by one of these kits.

What a great jump off point. Watching with interest.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

If only they did it with a proper dark wood board, doesn't have to be rosewood. The roasted jatoba fretboards ("Brazilian Cherry") on the G range of AG kits is very nice and smooth. I'd be happy to have one of those on this kit.

No engineered rosewood ever again for me either.

So i put my glasses on and found that it isnot one piece of wood.
    But it is matched so well that im still stoked.
    You can see in the heel joint that it is two pieces.

The nut is now off.
    This is my first engineered rosewood fret board. I see what you guys mean. It feels a little funny at first.
    How to smooth it out?

Perhaps with some of this stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real rosewood has the odd grain mark too, I wouldn't worry about that. My concern with the engineered rosewood is that the fibres (on mine and @Simon Barden's at least) weren't as well attached as they might be and are a bit prone to go missing. I treated mine and his with an ultra low viscosity epoxy primer, which I reckon has stabilised it well enough, but was viciously expensive because I had to buy about 100 times more than I needed. I put about 3 coats on, which certainly seemed like a mistake at the time as it looked kinda odd, see my EBS-4 build diary, but looking over my shoulder at the thing it looks fine now. I don't think wax would do the stabilisation.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Just a thought - would tru-oil help to stabilise it and seal it up?

I used Zap thin CA to seal my engineered rosewood board. After letting it cure I sanded back, working up to 4000 grade micromesh. I am still a little unhappy with the appearance as I have darker patches close to the frets, but the fretboard now feels as smooth as silk and the loose fibres of the engineered wood are no longer a problem. I can live with the uneven colouration as it is only noticeable in strong light. In normal light it looks a bit like wear from playing. I think that for the best results the board would be sealed without any frets.

But even though I now have a stable and playable board, I would rather have done without the whole process.

DC
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Thin CA is the easiest stabilising solution IME, but it will compromise the looks to some extent, as will any other good stabilising solution like thin epoxy. But better a slightly strange looking board than one that keeps shedding its fibres.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Yeah I think if I was to attempt it, I'd pull the frets first, which I understand is a bit scary, but would probably help with an even result.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Yeah I think if I was to attempt it, I'd pull the frets first, which I understand is a bit scary, but would probably help with an even result.
    Thanks Simon and Sonic.
    Things are now entering areas out of my skill set.
    CA glue sounds like a smart option.
    & I really want to do this right so......

Q. If i pulled the frets i would have to buy new ones and put them in. Is that right?
    Q. If i did that would i need any special tools? Or could i McGyver something up?

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    I used Zap thin CA to seal my engineered rosewood board. After letting it cure I sanded back, working up to 4000 grade micromesh. I am still a little unhappy with the appearance as I have darker patches close to the frets, but the fretboard now feels as smooth as silk and the loose fibres of the engineered wood are no longer a problem. I can live with the uneven colouration as it is only noticeable in strong light. In normal light it looks a bit like wear from playing. I think that for the best results the board would be sealed without any frets.

But even though I now have a stable and playable board, I would rather have done without the whole process.

DC
    Thanks jugglindan. And thanks for the link. Sometimes it is hard to find this stuff in the forum even though we know there is loads of info in there!!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast