Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: FrankenWashie's TS-808

FrankenWashie's TS-808

Just starting to plan this one. A TS-808 on stripboard. Will probably add the two mods from my OD-2 as well. One switch to select between the standard TS mid-range hump (cuts open 6th string by around 20% according to Jack Orman) and a flatter EQ. The other switch will change clipping diodes: standard TS-808 clipping, no clipping (makes it a dirty boost), and a third clipping option. Often this one uses red LEDs, but my experiments with the OD-2 showed that you have to drive the TS very hard before red LEDs start to clip much at all, so a lot of the time they sound the same as the no-clip option unless you run the gain cranked (or have much hotter pickups than I do). So I might do asymmetric clipping with the same 1N4148s that the standard TS uses.

The enclosure will of course be green. I just don't know what to call it.
    • The Monster
    • Franken Screamer
    • Igor's Hump
    • What Hump?

That last one would be a good label for the EQ switch Get it? Huh?

Man, I must be tired. Time to play guitar.

DC
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

When did you start taking custom orders???

Hmmmmm, that other Direct Drive conversion you have going has piqued my interest...
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

It's not really an official thing, and not something I am looking to turn a profit from (if I charged a half-decent hourly rate for my time these pedals would be just as expensive as real boutique pedals). BD just asked nicely, and the conversion looked like a fun challenge to me. The one for FrankenWashie is in trade for the timber box he is building for my foot drum.

Having said that, if you have something specific in mind I am happy to discuss the possibilities.
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Did the 3 knob 2 toggle drilling template in Inkscape, then added a first attempt mock layout:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	son of ig0r.png 
Views:	208 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	35473

It's just an idea at this stage, trying to link the TS-808 heritage to the owner.

Given that the EQ switch toggles between the stock TS mid-range hump and a flat response (a Jack Orman mod), I could label it "Hump". Open to other suggestions for control names.

I am still not fond of the pedal name, but that's not important right now. A little bit of progress today getting the enclosure drilled and primed. The new drilling templates I have made in Inkscape are working really well. As a result, these later enclosures are more accurate than the earlier builds this year where I was using generic templates off the internet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02_drilled_and_primed.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	35536

I've got a re-issue Ibanez TS-808 Tube Screamer pedal, I can post an audio demo of it if you need something to compare your TS-808 build with.

I’m coming up empty on alternative names, I had thought along the lines of Lab Screamer, or Test Tube Screamer but that’s about as far as I got.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

I have a BYOC OD-2 which is a modded TS of some vintage, but I haven't compared schematics to work out which variant. It has the same two mods - clipping selection switch and the EQ mod. I built it stock without the mosfet clipping. The sound should be close enough as a guide. But mostly with my pedal builds, as long as the circuit works correctly and reasonable sounds come out, I just assume they are good to go. Due to component tolerances and variations in op amps, I don't expect 100% sound-alike.

Having said that, it will be interesting to see how close it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I’m coming up empty on alternative names, I had thought along the lines of Lab Screamer, or Test Tube Screamer but that’s about as far as I got.
    I also thought about FrankenScreamer, The Slab, Igor's Hump, The Lightning Rod, or just plain "Ig0r". There is also the line from Rocky Horror: "So, come up to the lab and see what's on the slab", but that too much text.

Also, Monster Mash, or Abby Normal.

Plenty of time to come up with something good. Gotta get the CDD done first.

I will spray the green tomorrow and let it cure for a bit. I made the mistake once of assembling a pedal while the lacquer is still a bit soft. Marks everywhere.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast