Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: FrankenWashie's TS-808

I see you have the in/out jacks at the top of the pedal. Is that due to the circuit layout or just personal preference?

I tend to like the jacks on the side and just the dc input at top, but that's just me.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

It's not the circuit, just personal preference. Some kits with PCB mounted jacks or pots can enforce a layout, but all my jacks are wired in, so they can go anywhere they fit.

I like the top-mounted jacks for a few reasons. First, having most of the jacks and pots at one end maximises the room I have in the enclosure for the circuit board. Stripboards tend to be a bit larger than the same circuit on a PCB. Second, I like the way a row of top-mounted pedals can sit on a board right next to each other. Even the flattest pancake style patch leads still take up more room. Plus, if adjacent pedals don't have matching side-jack offsets, you need even more space between them. Third, familiarity. Making my own drilling templates has taken a bit of trial and error to get the spacing just right. Now that I have the top-mounted templates just about right, I am not very motivated to make new ones (although it wouldn't be hard TBH). Also, it makes the off-board wiring a familiar process: the same wire lengths, the same wiring pattern (at least for the jacks).

That might be too much detail, but you did ask

DC
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

You might find this webpage article interesting:

http://www.geofex.com/article_folder...ch/tsxtech.htm

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    You might find this webpage article interesting:

http://www.geofex.com/article_folder...ch/tsxtech.htm
    Thanks, that's a very interesting read. I have read the Electrosmash analysis, but R G Keen has a different perspective. One thing I like is how converting to true bypass cuts the complexity in half but retains the sound.

A little more progress today (although mostly focused on getting the Direct Drive finished) painting the enclosure. It's not Tube Screamer green, but it's green enough I hope. It's also the only green I have on hand. What a coincidence!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03_not_ts_green_but_green_enough.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	35559
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

I'm so happy you are doing this build for FW. I was just playing my TS clone today and loving every minute of it.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

A TS-808 or TS-9 is pretty useful as a booster when fed into an amp that's already being overdriven, the settings I use are as follows:

Drive/Overdrive set to the 11 O Clock position, Tone set to the 12 O Clock position, and Level set to the 1 O Clock position, that gives me some pretty good results.

Franken Screamer, Igor Speaks, Artificial Insemination, TubeWash, FS808, The Plight of Igor, My Precious, FrankenStomp, Frank Green, Green Out, GreenScream, LimeInTheCoconut, SquashedFrog, FrogStomp, Driving Miss Frankie, Inanimate Green Box, BonkFrog, Devil's Lettuce

For some reason "Devil's Lettuce" makes me laugh.

And given the frog idea, what about Peace Frog?

Small progress note: board cut to size, cleaned up, and traces cut.

Did the board for the piezo preamp at the same time. It was small enough that I was able to use the board I ruined last week by not scoring the copper traces, so that was nice. Also need to order another batch of stripboards.

The I-Scream(er)..?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast