Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Voodoo Octave Fuzz becomes Compact Direct Drive #2

Awesome!

I was afraid to open this thread, just in case you didn't like it.

I agree that it's a fantastic pedal. I tested and examined so many marshall in a box pedals before building this one. I can't wait to finish my tele so I can try it with humbuckers.

I use the harmonics switch quite a bit with my singles, but I have the amp EQ permanently set to tame the excess brightness.

I am pretty envious of the dual footswitches though! I didn't think of that until after building my pedal. It works a treat though, so I was happy with how it turned out.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post

I am pretty envious of the dual footswitches though! I didn't think of that until after building my pedal. It works a treat though, so I was happy with how it turned out.
    Re-box could be in order for you ??

Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    Re-box could be in order for you ??
    Maybe, but I play sitting down, so the switch is always easy to reach. Maybe one day when I find another pedal with three pots and two switches.

Plus there is also the debacle of the knob that I stuck on with CA glue I sure won't be doing that again. Or will I ...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    Maybe, but I play sitting down, so the switch is always easy to reach. Maybe one day when I find another pedal with three pots and two switches.

Plus there is also the debacle of the knob that I stuck on with CA glue I sure won't be doing that again. Or will I ...
    Meh - hit it with a hammer. It'll come off . Or some acetone. Job done.

I think I'll just live with the single switch for now

OK, so I was watching a review of the Compact Direct Drive. Some of the comments are interesting. One says "I have an actual Marshall combo. The direct drive into its clean Channel sounds more Marshall than the actual Marshall gain channel.", and another "Sounds more like a cranked up amp than a distortion or overdrive pedal. It seems to be the closest I have heard to the tone of the amp but at sane volume levels. Many pedals claim to be able to deliver this but the Direct Drive demo here shows that Barber really knows how to get it done right". So you are not the only one to think it sounds very amp-like.

But then I saw the same guy had a review of the Barber Gain Changer:

It's similar in that it combines several earlier Barber pedal voicings into the one pedal, selected via toggle switches. But it's said to be more American voiced rather than British/Marshall. Not sure if that means Fenderish or something else. But it sounds good in the review, so I know what I am building as my next drive pedal

I will definitely do this with footswitchable gain.

Nice one, glad to get a sanity check on what I was hearing and experiencing. I'm so keen to get it fired up loud with my Marshall amp on the clean channel. That has confirmed exactly how I pictured it would sound in the that setting.

Sounds like a good one to aim for mate. They certainly know their stuff.

The opportunity finally presented itself tonight with the family away from the premises to indulge in some high volume cranky crank with this beast. Going into the clean channel of my Marshall valvestate AVT50 combo which has a Celestion v30 retro fitted - this pedal is so hard to put down. It really sounds like you have engaged the dirty channels of a wall of Marshall stacks. I love how you can have a semi-overdriven creamy signal on one side and then throw down the gain switch to either swing into a singing solo or take it up a significant notch on your dirty sound. it is really like having a two channel distortion pedal which turns your (clean amp) into a 3 channel situation. The CDD really cleans up as well using your volume knob on the guitar. It seems to be respectful of where you are set and tastefully adjusts accordingly. Still very very impressed. Thankyou DC.

Glad you are enjoying it. I don't have a 50w Marshall to test mine with, but it's definitely my favourite drive pedal. It does everything from a smooth and creamy clean sound with more through to somewhat nasty.

I really need to build another pedal with 3 knobs and 2 switches so I can rebox my DD but still use the #5 enclosure on something else.

Dave Barber has good ears.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast