Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Voodoo Octave Fuzz becomes Compact Direct Drive #2

This pedal is kicking my arse just a little bit. Getting solder out of circuit boards just seems to take a long time, even with three different removal methods. Standard builds are usually finished by now.

Finally got the two footswitches ready to go and wired up. Funny how I didn't notice until taking the photo that I wired them with the wires coming from opposite sides. They will still work just fine though, so meh! Also had to make three tiny boards to convert the PCB-mount pots. Just need to wire the harmonics switch and then I can assemble things into the case, cut the wires to final length and finish connecting the wires.

I don't trust the ground connection on the jacks through the enclosure since it's painted so well, so I will wire grounds. Which, thinking about it, creates a ground loop due to multiple ground paths to each jack (wires and case). But since I do this all the time without problems, Simon is right about ground loops not causing issues at the very low currents found in these circuits.

Oh yeah, the progress photo:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07_most_of_the_wiring.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	35568
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Wow. Did you end up using the pots from the Joyo? Or did the pain come from desoldering the switch wiring?

It's not just the low currents, it's also the relative size of the wires, PCB tracks and the short distances. Even with higher currents, ground paths of 3-5cm won't produce much of a volt drop at all. And the distances will be similar, and so will any resulting volt drops. What you end up with in a pedal are a few ground paths in parallel that have a common input connection point and a common output connection point, so there's not a lot of scope for measurable potential differences at the circuit connection points. But obviously at least one good ground connection to the enclosure is required so that it stops external noise from getting in.

On the Tone City mini-pedals that Andertons sell, the input and output jack sockets don't have a permanent ground connection to the enclosure. It's only when you insert a jack plug that the connection gets made. PCB-mounted jack sockets that just fit and holes cut in the enclosure, which all saves assembly time and keeps costs low.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    Wow. Did you end up using the pots from the Joyo? Or did the pain come from desoldering the switch wiring?
    Footswitch desoldering. Got the wires off easy, but it took an hour to get all the holes clear of solder. They have a relatively thick PCB with tinned through holes, so small beads of solder stubbornly refused to leave their snug little homes. Too deep for the braided copper to work, ditto the vacuum sucker. The heat and whack method got them clear eventually.

DC

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    It's not just the low currents, it's also the relative size of the wires, PCB tracks and the short distances. Even with higher currents, ground paths of 3-5cm won't produce much of a volt drop at all. And the distances will be similar, and so will any resulting volt drops. What you end up with in a pedal are a few ground paths in parallel that have a common input connection point and a common output connection point, so there's not a lot of scope for measurable potential differences at the circuit connection points. But obviously at least one good ground connection to the enclosure is required so that it stops external noise from getting in.

On the Tone City mini-pedals that Andertons sell, the input and output jack sockets don't have a permanent ground connection to the enclosure. It's only when you insert a jack plug that the connection gets made. PCB-mounted jack sockets that just fit and holes cut in the enclosure, which all saves assembly time and keeps costs low.
    I use open jacks so the screw mount makes a direct connection to the case. But it's occasionally intermittent so I run earth wires too. Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

BD teaser:

Name:	08_teaser.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	35599

A lot more room in this enclosure than I am used to. Now to start cutting wires to length and make the final connections. Wait is that a song? It's the final connection ...

What I really want to know is...

how can those wee-tiny little components create such a HUGE, BEAUTIFULLY RAUCOUS NOISE!!!!

Cool
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    BD teaser:

Name:	08_teaser.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	35599
    A lot more room in this enclosure than I am used to.
    Surely some of those electrons will get lost in such a vast space?

Kind of fitting. That's exactly how I picture my brain in comparison to my skull. Lots of empty space .. great for a reverb chamber .. maybe I could convince @igor to implant some input and output jacks for me...

I managed to find a few short minutes today to knock up a quick pedal board

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast