Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: T-style, Single Cut Leftie (non PBG kit)

T-style, Single Cut Leftie (non PBG kit)

You guys were so much help with the telecaster kit i received from PBG, I thought i would start a thread here for this build. It's a T style, single cut, left handed guitar in poplar, with a rosewood fretboard and mahoghany neck. I wish I could have purchased this kit from Pit Bull Guitars (bc the quality and community here are top notch), but the custom guitar orders were down when i needed to order it. So it came from a retailer here in the US. Parts got backordered, so I've only had it about a month to design and start working on it. My deadline is the 1st of September to have the art done, finish dry and be ready to assemble.

This one will also be wood burnt, painted and finished with water-based, wipe-on poly. So far, I've mostly completed the wood burning, and started on some color test swatches. It's supposed to be a surprise for my son's birthday (well, he knows it's an LP guitar, but not the specifics about the art), so you guys don't spill the beans about it!

Front:

Back:

Color Testing:

WOW, looks great!
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Thanks Trevor Davies! I'm super excited about it!

oh boyobhboyohboy! looking forward to seeing this one when it's done.

Thank you Simon Barden and Rabbit!

I did have a question about how to protect the string-through holes. When I wet sanded the telecaster, there were two small places (around the pickup cavity and one of the predrilled holes) where water seeped and it caused the wood to swell under the finish.The cracking on the telecaster was minimal and in places that were covered, but it still bummed me out. I'm trying to avoid that with all the little holes on this guitar, especially on the back where it will be very visible. Would you fill them with paste wax, or is there a better way? And will a couple layers of poly around the rims of the cavity be a bad idea?

Wax is fine. Others have used solid beeswax, but I’m sure wax paste has been mentioned as well.

Poly round the cavity rims will be fine. I’ve not had a problem with finish cracking around cavities, but then I’ve normally been spraying the insides of the cavities as well as the top and back of the guitar. Just avoid getting much on the inside of the neck pocket. Mainly because if the neck is already a tight fit, then finish on the neck and the pocket sides can stop the neck from fitting at all without sanding it all back.

Simon has more experience, but I usually just ball up pieces of masking tape on larger holes like string through, neck bolt holes, bridge posts. Easier to remove than wax.

Another thing of beauty!

Thanks fender3x and Simon! I appreciate you guys' tips!

BTW, you should post your TL-1 here:

https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ead.php?t=2205

There is also a headstock gallery here:

https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...dstock+gallery

Your creations are something to aspire to!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast