Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Paulownia Precision

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    What does it sound like? Still got that 'Black Gold' pickup on it? Any good?
    Always cut to the chase ;-) Yeah, so far so good. I shielded the cavity, soldered on the ground connection and put it all together tonight. I played just enough notes to test that the wiring was good. It is, and those few notes sounded good, although I have the stock PB strings on it right now. My initial reaction is that is sounded just like a p-bass should. But it's a little distracting not having the setup right. Now that I can see it all works, I'll put on a better set and do the setup. I'll have a better sense of the sound then.

In the meantime, I got a few pics. Garage lighting in the middle of the night, so not the best, but you the idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	225.1 KB 
ID:	41331Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	291.8 KB 
ID:	41332

Name:	bocy_back.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	41334Click image for larger version. 

Name:	body1.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	238.8 KB 
ID:	41333

Name:	headstock1.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	41335

Final weight, 2.84 kg / 6.26 lbs
    Last edited by fender3x; 20-08-2021 at 12:09 PM.

That came up nicely.
    No issues with neck dive?
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

That looks great.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    That came up nicely.
    No issues with neck dive?
    It looks good!

I wouldn't have thought neck dive would be an issue. That tends to be more with the body shapes that have no top horn like an explorer or t-bird.

Looks great. Love the colour and the headstock.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    For those who thought there might be some neck-dive...you were right. It's not severe, and is about the same as my Fender. I think it helped to use the Hipshot ultralites and to make the headstock a bit smaller than a standard p-bass.
    Yes, there is some neck dive.

It looks very good. I like the chunky bridge.

It has a bit of neck-dive, but I don't think it'll be an issue. I have a G&L ASAT that had the issue Rabbit mentions. Also have a '70's era precision that has bit of neck dive for the same reason that this bass has it...it has a fairly light body. This is different. If I use a "slippery strap" the drop would be pretty noticeable. If I use a suede-on-the-inside strap, you can tell that the neck is a bit heavy compared to the body, but it doesn't really drop. Having a bit more of a "sticky" strap" has worked with my other basses with this issue too, but the weight makes a huge difference. With the ASAT that weighs in at 4.5 kg, the sticky strap makes my shirt bunch up holding the neck in place, and I feel that plus the weight of the bass on my shoulder. at 2.9 kg, the my shirt doesn't really bunch up and the weight on my shoulder is a lot better. So this seems like more tolerable neck dive if that makes any sense. In any case, it's not severe.

Thanks for all the comments. I like the way the finish came out. At least right now before it starts to collect dents ;-)

More when I get it set up and really hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I like the chunky bridge.
    Me too, and I think it was your suggestion to use a high mass bridge to compensate for the neck a bit. With the possible exception of the neck itself, the bridge was the single heaviest thing I have attached to the bass. Felt odd to use a heavy bridge on a bass I was trying to keep light, but I think it was the right thing to do. The Sung Il was one of the few bridges I have found that is high-mass, locking, top-loading or string through. It was also affordable at under $30 US. If you want to keep it light the Babicz or Hipshot would be better. If you want or don't mind the weight it's hard to beat these Korean bridges.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast