Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TL build 3 way switch not working in middle position.

TL build 3 way switch not working in middle position.

I have had a look and all the wires seem to be connected.
    It started intermittently now doesn’t work.
    If I have to get another is there a benefit in buying the upgrade kit?

Can you post some photos of the wiring, showing the solder joins as clearly as possible? That will really help with diagnostic suggestions.

DC
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

If you need to replace it, I really think it's worth paying a bit more to get a top quality CRL or Oak Grigsby switch. They are a lot more reliable. Pit Bull sell them.

If I have to get another is there a benefit in buying the upgrade kit?
    If you're thinking about a full tele electronics upgrade kit, there are a few considerations to be made.
    The factory control cavity routing is too narrow to fit full size 24mm pots, and sometimes not deep enough to accommodate a CRL-style lever switch. Lastly the holes for the pots in the control plate will need drilling out to fit imperial size pot shafts.

You can definitely fit it all in there, but not without some minor alterations to the cavity & plate.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

The pit bull up grade kit comes with a plate so I guess it’s just opening up the cavity.
    I guess with the upgrades I’ve already made with Grover tuners, Fender Tex Mex pickups if I upgrade electronics too I should get an authentic sound. I’ve never soldered before and I possibly could get help to improve my technique before a full upgrade.
    I have a 1970 Tele and I would like to get close to the original sound.

The pit bull up grade kit comes with a plate so I guess it’s just opening up the cavity.
    If you don't have a router, the job can be done with a Dremel (or other rotary tool) and a small sanding drum.
    From memory, it only needs to opened up a total of approx. 1.5 mm (.75 each side) to fit the pots and still be covered by the control plate. The length does not require any routing/sanding.

I’ve never soldered before and I possibly could get help to improve my technique before a full upgrade.
    There are some good how-to videos on YT, and if you need to buy a soldering iron, it would be a good idea to also buy a couple of cheap pots to practise on (you can get both from Jaycar NZ).
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Only the pickups will alter the actual sound. Better electrics will make the guitar far more reliable and possibly quieter, but a like-for-like component swap (with regards to resistance and capacitance values) won't affect the tone produced.

Mentor
    The Bourns Mini Pots will fit in the standard cavity. That's what I have in mine.

Thanks for that

Thanks ...so really a switch swap maybe all I need. With all this info I will go thru and check and maybe redo all connections and if that doesn’t work then a new switch. I did watch a re wire utube from Morris guitars yesterday which was very detailed and very clear and I will use as a reference. As always thanks for comment

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast