Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Noisy Cricket lo-fi mini combo

True Simon, true.

I am putting the control layout on hold for now. I need to finish building both circuits so I can test whether I can skip the preamp volume control or not. Got a bit distracted tonight starting to tear down and reverse engineer the Joyo pedal for BDs new pedal.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

The coping saw I bought for the tele headstock worked nicely for this job too. This is the cutout for the controls. It will be hidden by the MDF control plate which I also cut today. I didn't drill it though since I haven't tested whether I can omit the preamp volume or not.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09_controls_cutout.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	35535
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Made a bit of progress wiring up the off-board stuff. Still haven't drilled the panel, but this is complete enough that with some alligator clips I could test.
    The amp sounds OK. A bit disappointing but OK. At higher gain settings it starts to clip in a solid-state not-so-pleasant way but that is avoidable by winding the gain or guitar volume back a bit. The weakest point is the speaker. It sounds like playing a guitar through a hifi system, which I am sure we have all tried at least once. I tested all three spare speakers (none of which are actual guitar speakers) and it made a big difference. Oddly, the best sounding speaker of the three is the old torn subwoofer. It fits into the cabinet so I will start with that but keep my eyes open for something better.

I am not sure it's going to work that well for the foot drum though, so I have decided to build the piezo preamp into a pedal enclosure instead. That way I can use it with any amp.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3