Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: First Build JZ-6

First Build JZ-6

Just got email that my kit has been shipped after (im)patiently waiting since start of May.

Love the Jazzmaster/Jaguar guitars and a baritone will be something completely new to me so keen to get stuck into it!

Have done one kit build from another supplier which went fairly well so can't wait to get started. Looking at a fairly standard setup - black gloss finish using aerosols. Well that's the current plan but we'll see!

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Welcome aboard, sounds like a good plan, those pearloid pickguards look great on black. Lots of work getting a great finish with black though.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Sounds cool. Might be tempted by one of those baritiones myself in the future, cure vibes.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Well, as luck would have it the kit just arrived in time for the long weekend. 3 days of sanding!

Did a layout and everything is in the box, although I don't think I got the right strings included ha ha. They fall a bit short for checking the neck so I will have to raid the sewing kit.

The other thing is that the neck fits well, and looks straight but there is a small gap between the end of the neck and the neck hole. I can't imagine this will be a problem or would it need remedying? That is with me pushing the neck in as far as possible

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Just use normal string for checking neck straightness. Guess you'll need a set of baritone strings given the longer scale length.

Neck pocket gap isn't a problem, it'll be covered by the pick gaurd. If you wanted to sand the heel a bit to get it to sit in perfectly it wouldn't hurt anything.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Thanks,

Will do with the string. I think the kit was meant to have a set but no stress, I upgraded on my previous kit build (non PBG) so will do the same.

Thought as much but just wanted to consult. If the neck screws in right and is straight I won't tempt fate by playing with the neck at all.

Other homework for the weekend is figuring how to reduce the size of the photos!

You probably just need to scrape away at the base of the neck pocket with a sharp knife to get the neck sitting fully against the end of it.

Cheers Simon,

I got the neck on and bolted in and everything looks straight so am reluctant to mess around with the neck. Having placed the pickguard its covered up as Sonic mentioned so if that small gap isn't going to mess the intonation etc. up too much I'll leave as is.

So after the mock build, I've commenced with the sanding. I am using 360 all over (perhaps a little conservative but at the moment I have nothing but time).

One thing I have seen a lot around is raising the grain prior to commencing with any finishes - at present I am looking at doing a solid colour so wasn't sure if this was only necessary when staining or should be done when using aerosols/spray guns (I'll be using aerosols).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast