Thread: No Earth Wire Hole

No Earth Wire Hole

Hi guys,
    I received my GSM-1 Kit https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/...mahogany-copy/ yesterday. It's a SG style body. I had a quick look last night and can't see a hole from the where the pots are housed to the the tail piece for the earth. I've repaired a couple of these style of guitars where the posts have pulled out and the earth wire was on the lower post. I presume these kits are the same set up or is there another way of earthing the bridge. Thanks, Rod.

Hi and welcome.

Just checked, and both my GSM-1 and GSJ-1 are missing bridge or tailpiece grounding holes. Easiest to drill a hole from the bridge pickup cavity into a bridge post hole.

Unless you fit active EMGs, where string grounding isn't necessary, then there really isn't any other way to do it.

Hi and thanks for that Simon. I'll buy a extra long 3mm drill and drill the hole..

Make sure you lay something protective on the top first. It's all to easy to slip and ruin the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Make sure you lay something protective on the top first. It's all to easy to slip and ruin the surface.
    I was thinking of drilling from the where the pots are to the post hole....if I can line it up..

You can but try.

I'll be shielding the pickup cavities with copper foil, so will need to run ground wires to those anyway. So just as easy for me to do it from the pickup cavity, plus I can see what I'm doing. Though I may see if my right-angled drill adaptor will fit in the control cavity.

I'll give it ago thanks Simon. Have another problem. Seems the intonation is out about 5mm. Meaning I will have to move the neck forward and leave a gap between the body and end tongue of the neck. I'll post another thread. See if I can uplaod photos with it..

That's standard with all the kits with that style of neck joint. There are a few kits like the ES-1 where the neck has a rim that butts up against the body so it's pre-positioned, but most require you to position the neck so that the fretboard end just clears the pickup rout.

Best to start a build diary and post your technical issues there.

Thanks again Simon. Good idea. I'll make up a diary. I have to work out how to get notifications from this forum. I clicked email but it only works sometimes.