Thread: Sanding off sealer/resin to expose wood for staining

Sanding off sealer/resin to expose wood for staining

Hello from Kiwiland. I figured this forum may be an appropriate place to ask...

I have a parts-jaguar that I am refinishing. I stripped the poly and sanded off a white coat (primer?) to find a dull coat of what I assume to be sealer resin. I can see some areas exposing the raw wood with nice colours, but when I try to sand any other area, I make little progress. I have been using 120 grit paper. Thinking of dropping it to 60 or 80. Any advice?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG20200527145900.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	35306  

I encountered that on a couple of guitars.

Best way for me was using a heat gun and paint knife.
    Careful with the knife not to gouge the wood underneath.

cheers, Mark.

It's partly uneven end-grain take up, and partly areas where more of that stuff was applied. It doesn't look like its on the surface, so don't think a heat gun will work, but its worth a try.

If it doesn't, then just attack it with much coarser sandpaper or even a file/rasp. You should only need to take 1mm off at most to get to bare wood, and you can do that without ruining the general outline/shape of the body. Then go up through the sandpaper grades, making sure that each finer grade has removed the scratches left by the previous grade before moving up to the next grade.

I'd start at 60 and see how you go.