Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Foot Drum

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Lots of old drum machines with a trigger input out there!
    While that would take a lot of the mad scientist fun out of it, it would also be pretty cool having the ability to program in different drum sounds.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Out of this whole thread, I heard.....

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    I am hatching a plan for a new pedal build, but something different this time.

I only have one amp,......... Any advice or suggestions?
    You need to build another amp and experience that radness.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

Mentor
    What size enclosure? I have some scrap timber which may be large enough and I have a possible solution for you for making the box.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks Woltz. I don't know what size yet, need to do some prototyping with books 'n stuff. Also trying to decide on the right profile. For playing seated I think a wide but fairly low box would work nicely, but should it be a wedge, or a flat rectangle?

This project will probably move fairly slowly since I have some other pedals and my tele to work on. I am getting very impatient with the tele, I really really want to play it! Oh, and I am also trying to find time for that other thing we do sometimes - playing guitar.

About the only other idea I have had for this one is the name. Either "Stompy", or "Monster Mash".
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    Out of this whole thread, I heard.....

You need to build another amp and experience that radness.
    I was thinking about building one of the Lamington amps later this year, but it won't be for bass either.

I'd go for a wedge shape myself. Something reasonably heavy to stop it moving around, as well as rubber foam underneath for grip.

I just tested using a few books I have around, and found one that fits perfectly under foot, is a comfortable height, and is high enough for the potential electronics and wiring.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box.png 
Views:	177 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	35316

Two people have generously offered to help with the box construction, so please let me know if those dimensions are OK. Otherwise I am sure I can knock something together with BGS pine.

The generous size is so I can fit my whole foot on, and to leave room for a speaker.

Plan 1 for the speaker is to fit the piezo transducer, a small amp and the speaker all in the box, to see if an all in one solution can be made. I suspect the thump would be less than satisfying, but it might work for home use. Feedback might be an issue though. OK, ditch plan 1.

Plan 2 for the speaker is that some people have used a small speaker as the microphone instead of piezo pickups. Some claim they give a better thump. For example, here is a simple design that doesn't even use a preamp. Not sure if they have something off-board or run straight to amp or mixer:

Name:	IMG_0419.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	35317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0421.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	35318
    Last edited by jugglindan; 27-05-2020 at 06:38 PM. Reason: removed first dimensions image

For the electrical side of things, if a speaker works well enough without a preamp then I would probably fit a passive tone and volume control, maybe something like the Fender Greasebucket - the high and low pass controls might be nice, but then it might be better to have separate pots for bass and treble.

If I use a piezo or if the speaker-mike needs an amp, then I will probably use a simple preamp on stripboard along either a 2 or 3 pot tone circuit and volume. The box dimensions should have room along the top edge (150mm) for 4 pots, DC jack, and 6.5mm output jack.

Or, I could keep Mr Stompy simple, and build a very cheap combo amp from this Ikea box and a noisy cricket:

Name:	future combo amp.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	35319

And yes, I tested that box as a stomp. It's much too high for comfort.

Those dimensions are not an issue, JD. There’s a couple of options for it, I’ve a couple of blanks that could be hollowed out to suit, or a spec box built to house what you want.
    are you going to stick with the flat format or did you want to wedge it a bit for ease of use?
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

A bit of taper might be nice. Even 1 cm difference would work, so 50mm at the back and 40mm at the front.

I had no specific plans for how the box would be constructed, beyond "box, with lid screwed on the bottom". I think in my mind it was sort of a wooden pedal enclosure. But I know almost nothing about building things out of wood, so please suggest whatever you think might work.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast