Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Phrozin back to work

Nice!
    I love the depth you get with that clear. I have clear coat envy now
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Top work as usual Phroz.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Cheers Phil 👍

Started work on a hollow body so far just put the dye on it's my usual Rit dye Scarlet Red for those interested 1 sachet to 100ml water and have some grain filling not sure if I'll do a burst on it yet the plan is to do the front quilt in red and a see-through black on the back silver hardware with a Bigsby

I also finish clearing a TL-1 Tele this afternoon have done it in a candy apple red over Candy apple red pearl with red base have tried the do it as dark as I can and done a 50-1 mix of tint concentrate so it will glow under lights, body has come out super flat and quite happy with it, I'm going it hanging up for 2 or 3 days for the paint to harden enough to polish but it's only been 14c herein Adelaide way to cold have done it all in lacquer will pop a couple of pictures tomorrow

Hey guys here is the TL-1 Tele as I said in the previous post 2 coats red base SCA Red, 2 coats candy red pearl 2g - 1lt medium, 6 coats of Candy apple red tint, 6 coats of clear, Candy tint is 50ml - 100ml medium so quite strong as wanting it dark as I could get it not to bad off the gun all done in lacquer. Leaving it for a couple more days before ill polish it as been very cold here ATM will polish up pretty easily 😵

Mate, that's fine gun work, I can already see clear and sharp reflections off it before you've even threatened it with a polishing compound. Looks fab

+1 to what Bakersdozen said!!! I wish I could lay it down like that.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Man, I will be lucky to get a finish that good after polishing!
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Cheers guys @McCreed you can mate your just missing the how-to it's not hard when you don't know how to do something it becomes hard I've had a spray gun in my hand since I was 15😲

Have started a new one while I wait for that to harden, it's SG so far grained filled primed and Black base 2 coats this one I'm going to shoot a large blue flake over a Black base using a .008 flake then highlight it with a blue pearl then Candy blue and clear all in lacquer using my own mix of Candy blue got the body super flat so should look pretty good under lights, I was a bit unsure as SGs are either Black, off white or the red dye ill see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    Man, I will be lucky to get a finish that good after polishing!
    After you polish them they should look like this, I did these ones back in 2017 - 2018, black is a funny colour to paint if you don't get it right you get a shine but it's murky, to get a glass look with Acrylic what I do with Acrylic and solid colours I don't spray a 100% clear over the colour I mix in about 20% colour to the clear, a bit harder if you're doing a rattle can, metallics you put a 100% clear over them, most amateurs don't know how to spray metallics, pearls, and candy's they don't get an even coat with the flake standing up the same over the whole job and candy not getting railway tracks in it, mica paint like pearls is another different animal they refract the light where metallics reflects the light pearls give you a nice glow to them under the light then there's 2k's only someone who has good gun control should try 2k

Anyone who wants to do a few builds they should really think about buying a gun and compressor you can get a compressor with not a lot of money and you can get a gun around the $40. If anyone wants to know anything they just got to ask I don't post very much but I read others builds if I can help I will. I'm not into turning guitars into coffee tables

Here's a few I did a while back

Last edited by phrozin; 11-06-2020 at 01:42 AM.

They look so good!
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast