Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Phrozin back to work

Ouch! You meant it literally when you said "top of my hand cut off". I was thinking BCC's like I've had removed.
    Glad to hear it has gone well so far. Goo on you.

On another topic, what do you know about the isocyanate-free 2k they make now?
    Is it as good as the old-fashioned toxic stuff?
    I just found out it exists and was considering trying it as I don't have proper extraction or masks.

I do use gas/fumes filters in my respirator for spraying lacquer, but I doubt it's good enough for old 2k.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    Yikes, that is gonna hurt! Is that photo now, or earlier?
    Earlier it looks better now still can't hold a suction gun with a full pot for very long I have like 20 guns gravity are ok
    Last edited by phrozin; 26-05-2020 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Ouch! You meant it literally when you said "top of my hand cut off". I was thinking BCC's like I've had removed.
    Glad to hear it has gone well so far. Goo on you.

On another topic, what do you know about the isocyanate-free 2k they make now?
    Is it as good as the old-fashioned toxic stuff?
    I just found out it exists and was considering trying it as I don't have proper extraction or masks.

I do use gas/fumes filters in my respirator for spraying lacquer, but I doubt it's good enough for old 2k.
    Long as you use a decent respirator with a good fit and protect your eyes lacquer you can get by with a respirator, I have used a lot of 2k especially the epoxy stuff as its so tough, I don't trust any 2k the water base gear is a lot safer but if you don't have good gun technique you can make a pigs ear out of it pretty easy but I guess that goes with all paint.

There are a few other downsides to it, if your going to spray any 2k grab a pair of painter cover alls Bunnings sell them there disposable only cost a couple of bucks and buy painters gloves, I have had a lot of contact with isocyanate back when not much was known but everyone is different in what can help a cancer along it's a know carcinogen, imo it has an unequaled look to it and it's tough, I haven't used a lot of water base 2k so I can't comment with 100% authoritiy. Sonic might have a bit more to it add to it but Do the safe thing keep it off your skin, eyes, head and keep them all out of your lungs even acrylic grey primer has lots of lead in it.

I buy a lot of my stuff from https://www.autolac.com.au/ or https://www.autorepairsdirect.com.au/ or I buy direct from protec paint here in Adelaide who now sell PPG paint, candy I buy the powder and mix my own concentrate and it's a lot cheaper than house of colour or other like them,😎

Christ on a bike! I was curious about your hand but thought better about asking. But since you’ve posted the photo....is that a mohs surgery job or the plan all along? Hand pain and incapacitation is just the worst! Good luck moving forward from here. Your guitars are second to none btw.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    Christ on a bike! I was curious about your hand but thought better about asking. But since you’ve posted the photo....is that a mohs surgery job or the plan all along? Hand pain and incapacitation is just the worst! Good luck moving forward from here. Your guitars are second to none btw.
    It was a skin cancer it came up really fast, it started about 2 cm round so went to my doc she cut the top off for a biopsy that came back all clear then over about 3 weeks it all scab up no worries then I jammed it between my chair and a benchtop ripped the guts of it out, could have heard me in NSW hurt like buggery the missus said I don't know about that so back to the doc sent me to dermatology which took me 2 months to see anyone, in that time it grew to about 5 cm soon as doc saw it said that doesn't look so good,

He proceeded to check under my arm and inside of my elbow turns around and said no lumps that's good, I'm thinking to myself shit. He starts writing out some forms I sign them sends me home 2 weeks later I get a letter from the plastic surgeon to mossy on in to see him 2 days later there cutting me up spent the night in hospital, they took a 4" square of skin shaved off the top of my leg and sewed it over the top of the great hole in my right hand, they then tell me I might need radiation to Kill any they couldn't cut out, a week later I get pathology came back they got it all with good margins don't need to radiate it.

The rest was physio to get the tendons to start working again took a good while before I could actually use it, I still got to wear a special glove on it, I guess it's a bit like a bad burn that's what the glove looks like, I can now do stuff driving my car still a bit painful as its hand controls you drive it like a motorcycle, it's pretty funny I'm pretty well know at my local supercheap store I was talking to a girl who works there her father passed away from melanoma she was the one who said go get a second opinion... Go figure

I forgot it was not the average skin cancer from the sun all good now I'm back at it
    Last edited by phrozin; 27-05-2020 at 01:08 AM.

Thanks Phrozin.
    The product I've looked at is from PPG, but the data sheet doesn't indicate it being water based. Any insight there?

ICF 2K Isocyanate Free

Welcome back Phrozin. Hope you heal well.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

8. Liked by: phrozin

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Thanks Phrozin.
    The product I've looked at is from PPG, but the data sheet doesn't indicate it being water based. Any insight there?

ICF 2K Isocyanate Free
    Best advice I can give you is don't trust any 2k wear a good respirator always protect your eyes and you'll be good to go my exposure has been over years of contact before all the bad things were known its beautiful stuff look at shine and hardness wise 😎

Guys I've been doing some cut & polishing some guitar bodys and I've picked up a 3" cordless polisher it's a ripper and works great with the 3" foam pads, if you plan on doing a few (sonic I'm looking at you lol) you need one in your tool box ill be posting a few body this week that I've been using it on, they have power tool on special every so often that's when I got mine $80

Here's a link
    https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...#sz=60&start=3

These pads work with it and is what I have been using
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/18pcs-3-...frcectupt=true

Grab one of these the standard batterys will do 1 side I use the 2 standard batteries and a 4 amp to do a full guitar
    https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...id=SCA01050210

Guys I've been doing some cut & polishing some guitar bodys and I've picked up a 3" cordless polisher it's a ripper and works great with the 3" foam pads, if you plan on doing a few (sonic I'm looking at you lol) you need one in your tool box...
    Nah, I like inflaming the tendonitis in my elbow and arthritis in my hands too much

I do have two bodies hanging (very well cured now btw) that are waiting to be levelled and polished. Maybe a good excuse to expand my tool possession.

Hey guys here are 3 i have finished this week

This is a JM-1 it is red base with 2 coats 0.016 red flake and 2 coats of Candy apple red pearl over it then 4 coats of Candy apple red tint and 3 coats of 2k clear with the weather so cold and wet here I had to heat up the clear with a hairdryer as I was spraying it, moisture was being caught by the spray as it was coming out of the gun, I can't seem to be able to catch the flake in a photo but it's quite large looks amazing under lights,

This is PSH-1 this thing has given me nightmares I've had to repair a huge hunk I pulled out of the quilt maple was a job and a half to repair but managed to fix it, I had to put in a patch on the maple the dropped on the dye the put unthinned 2k clear over that let it harden then sand it all back and recleared, it's a rit dye teal colour and 3 coats of 2k clear waiting on a new bridge as this wrap-around type bridge the intonation is way off and pretty much unplayable so a fully adjustable bridge is on its way I'm hoping that fixes it,

This is an ESP LTD Mh-100Qmfr I picked up from cash converters they dropped there prices over the COVID-19 shutdowns so it was really cheap, the body was trashed, had dents huge deep scratches chips a real mess, I've sanded it all back repaired the dents re-dyed the back, quilt maple front was ok just scratches and popped 4 coats of 2k clear over it came up well and plays great it's going into my keepers rack, while I was there I grab an SG for $75 it is beat up but I can repair it got big plans for that one

I have started 2 hollow bodys and a tele I'm doing in a dark Candy this week hope you guys like them all

12. Liked by: Cliff Rogers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast