Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First Build: TLA-1Q

After reading some other posts on the forum, it seems that using timbermate with a water based stain can cause some issues.
    Is there any way to get around this or should i look for a different grain filler?

You've already got the stains, so I'd use a different (non-water based) grain filler. Best to use a spirit (alcohol) based stain with water-based grain fillers, as the water in the stain will loosen the grain filler and the pores won't be as filled as before.

If you've got concentrated ColorTone, then you can always mix it with alcohol (isopropyl or metho) instead of water. But it it's the pre-diluted with water type, then you can't do that.

yep pre mixed with water type, will have to head to bunnings tommorow

I have read about people having trouble with Timbermate and water based stain, as well as shrinkage with some paints, but I have to say I've not encountered these issues.

This ash Tele (TLA-1 kit) is ebony Timbermate and water based dye (ColorTone and U-Beaut) with DIY wipe-on poly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ash TL flat 1000x472.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	35342

And this Stra-Tele is Timbermate under acrylic lacquer (over basswood).

Name:	Stra-Tele 3 1k x 666.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	35344

Neither one gave me any problems (apart from the Stra-Tele which got painted 3 times due to other paint difficulties )

NOTE: Please see my next post #19 re: lacquer on the Stra-Tele.
    Last edited by McCreed; 30-05-2020 at 06:22 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

What a gorgeous tele!
    right you've given me faith, just need to get the dye, poly and some turps from bunnings for the neck then.

What a gorgeous tele!
    right you've given me faith, just need to get the dye, poly and some turps from bunnings for the neck then.
    Thanks.
    Hopefully my experience was not just an anomaly. I don't want to be held responsible if yours goes pear-shaped

I just thought my experience was worth sharing, not to be explicitly contradictory IYKWIM.

I have to say I've had no luck at all with timbermate. It's entirely possible it's operator error, but I feel like I've had a good crack and just can't get good results.
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I have read about people having trouble with Timbermate and water based stain, as well as shrinkage with some paints, but I have to say I've not encountered these issues.

This ash Tele (TLA-1 kit) is ebony Timbermate and water based dye (ColorTone and U-Beaut) with DIY wipe-on poly.

Name:	Ash TL flat 1000x472.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	35342

And this Stra-Tele is Timbermate under acrylic lacquer (over basswood).

Name:	Stra-Tele 3 1k x 666.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	35344

Neither one gave me any problems (apart from the Stra-Tele which got painted 3 times due to other paint difficulties )
    Water based dye is fine, timbermate swells under lacquer it pretty much bad news a month later it will shrink back if your painting a colour why tempt the devil there is better ways to grain fill which has no issues, nice job on the teles 👌

Thanks phrozin.
    After reading your post, it dawned on me that there is a very good chance I sealed the Stra-Tele with shellac after the Timbermate and before I primed it. I can't 110% that is the case, as I have a mind like sieve.
    I do use shellac a lot because of its compatibility with practically everything you can put over it. It's my go-to sealer if I have any concerns about possible incompatibility.

So, the shellac may be the key to why I've not had any issues with the lacquer on that one. That finish would would have gone on around December 2018.

I think I'll make a note in my previous post referring here

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Thanks phrozin.
    After reading your post, it dawned on me that there is a very good chance I sealed the Stra-Tele with shellac after the Timbermate and before I primed it. I can't 110% that is the case, as I have a mind like sieve.
    I do use shellac a lot because of its compatibility with practically everything you can put over it. It's my go-to sealer if I have any concerns about possible incompatibility.

So, the shellac may be the key to why I've not had any issues with the lacquer on that one. That finish would would have gone on around December 2018.

I think I'll make a note in my previous post referring here
    I think the thinners is the problem it sucks any fluid up, lacquer takes a month or so to really harden fully so most guys polish after a week and that's fine if you're underlying base is good ie grain-filled, with timber mate it just keeps shrinking so by the time your where it's not your paint is thin and very easy to sand through. I haven't used timbermate for ages now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast