Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: First Build: TLA-1Q

I haven't used timbermate for ages now
    Despite my success (luck?) with it, I'm considering trying Aqua Coat next time I need to grain fill.
    After some info from Simon Barden, it's far less cost prohibitive than I had previously thought.

However I need to complete the two guitars I have already painted before I purchase any Aqua Coat.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

what other grain fillers should i get then?
    dont really want to risk the timbermate if i dont have to

Yeah, I'm also interested in that, because I just picked up some ebony timbermate...

update

Update

The kits arrived finally and its all looking nice - I'm very happy with the quilt on top

Ive roughly shaped the headstock but will obviously need to do more sanding when not doing a history task
    Next up on the list will be widening the bridge cavity for aftermarket pickups, then goof off on the bodies glue spots.
    Im also planning on doing some custom fret dots at the twelth but not sure about that yet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5991.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	273.3 KB 
ID:	37252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5996.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	37253  

Ive know stained the body entirely, and I like the blue and think it shall look nice once bindings are scraped and lacquered. Ive also added in a casing fret dot and the 3rd for a bit of flair

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I learnt this the hard way... not one of my better finishes, but it plays like a mofo!

Attachment 35281
    That's *not* one of your better finishes?

@ fender3x - It passes the "2 metre test" but there are flaws present on closer inspection. I'm just not humble enough to point them out!

The two main defects are the vibrato route that I filled with Tassie Oak blocks developed an "outline" as the finish settled. You can't feel it and it's only visible at certain angles. It also inexplicably (to me anyway) developed some patterns of tiny tiny white dots in the clear coat. It wasn't visible until days after I polished it. Again only visible at certain angles.

I don't know I'll ever get a finish that is literally flawless.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3