Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice on what to get for a first-timer?

Advice on what to get for a first-timer?

I'm hoping to pick up a kit soon and am really looking forward to it, but at the moment feel rather overwhelmed with information.

I'm thinking a TL kit because you can't get any simpler than that (and I've always wanted one). But even then there is a lot of choice.

So I guess I've got a bunch of questions:

Have people who've built TLs been happy with them?
    Are they a good beginner's build?
    Is there a particular kit to go for?
    Any other recommendations?

Further, if there's any advice you really wish you'd had before you started, please let me know!

Thanks for any help, it's greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Bossdogs; 22-05-2020 at 06:01 PM.

Hey Bossdogs, welcome along!

TL and ST kits are your simplest builds, depending on how fancy you want to get with your finishing. The basic TL kits and the DTL kits are probably the best for a first build.

I’d think twice about getting one of the veneered kits, as they can present some issues with glue spots and the veneers are very thin and easily sanded through.

The only caveat to that is, that when you get your kit, do a mock build and check both your neck alignment and your scale length. From time to time there have been issues with the bridge rout position being too far back. It doesn’t happen often but it does happen.

Check evethhing over and if there are any issues, notify Adam at Pitbull straight away. They will usually sort something out really quickly if there are issues.

other than that, there is just the normal mantra, “Sand sand sand and when you think you’ve sanded enough, sand some more”.
    Start a build diary, post as many photos as you can and every question that pops up, the only silly question is the one you didn’t ask before doing something that makes you swear.

best of luck, the hardest decision is usually which kit to buy first!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Hi.

Fitting the bridge on TLs can be a bit awkward as the pickup cavity often needs enlarging a bit to locate the bridge in the correct place. But saying that, as long as you have a Dremel with a rotary drum sander bit, then it's a matter of moments to do. Otherwise its pretty much the easiest kit to assemble, though the GSJ-1 SG Jr kit is also very straightforwards if you don't mind glueing the neck in place.

A lot comes down to the type of finish you are looking for. For a natural or stained finish, the GTL kits have better wood and normally have well matched pieces that will give a consistent look (though they are a bit more expensive as a result), whilst the TL ones can be a bit more varied in wood selection. With the TLs, I'd start by assuming you'd do a solid colour, and maybe go natural if the body you receive looks nice.

A rosewood board kit is a bit easier than a maple board kit, as the board itself doesn't need any finish, whereas a maple board needs some sort of finish, and that will finish will need sanding and polishing if you go for clear lacquer on the board.

I went with a TL1-TH for my first build (in progress). In hindsight, something without the binding would have made things a bit simpler. Having to look after the binding, mask the binding, scrape the binding just added more time and complexity. The other thing that would have made my build simpler is a maple fretboard since then the whole neck and fretboard can be finished more simply. I got engineered rosewood but that has added more complexity. For my first build I would have been quite happy to do without those complications. Just getting to grips with the basics had enough challenges for me.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    A rosewood board kit is a bit easier than a maple board kit, as the board itself doesn't need any finish, whereas a maple board needs some sort of finish, and that will finish will need sanding and polishing if you go for clear lacquer on the board.
    Good points. Given the ongoing work on my engineered rosewood board, I assumed that maple would have been easier. But my assumption is not based on experience so perhaps it is enough to say that any fretboard has it's challenges.
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Avoid any engineered rosewood fretboard neck. They aren't good (at least not the engineered wood the kits use), very rough, and bits fall off as soon as you look at them.

Do any of the kits still have real rosewood boards?

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    Do any of the kits still have real rosewood boards?
    More common in the ST kits, JD.
    FrankenLab

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    More common in the ST kits, JD.
    Thanks. I still haven't worked out what to build next but it probably won't be a strat so it's maple all the way for me now! A bass might be nice, or maybe a DMS-1 ...

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    Thanks. I still haven't worked out what to build next but it probably won't be a strat so it's maple all the way for me now! A bass might be nice, or maybe a DMS-1 ...
    ESB-4SC kits are on sale 😉
    FrankenLab

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast