Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: DAW opinions/advice

Thanks Drew!

Dave -
    Reaper 6.1 is what I got , and I didn't see any other versions on offer.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I've got the latest version of Reaper on both my laptop and desktop pc, they usually only have the latest version ready for download on their website, but I think they do still have an archive of all the older versions too, usually, once you've paid your $60 license you get all the subsequent updates free.

Thanks Dave. I'll do a "check for updates" next time I open it up.

Reaper will advise you when there is an update available when you start the program and as I noted earlier you get two full releases for your $60.00 so when R8 happens in a couple of yours you're up for another $60 if you want to go to that release.

From there you get R8 & R9 before being asked to pay when offered R10.

I've been using it since R4.

The licence also covers 3 machines, so I have one on the recording laptop, one on the mix box and another on my mates lappy so he can do demos, I'm also looking at using remote desktop to work with him during the lockdown

You can also switch it to a portable install if you need to stick it on another machine for a specific job.
    All in all I reckon it's the best compromise between a subscription model and a one-off purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by blinddrew View Post
    You can also switch it to a portable install if you need to stick it on another machine for a specific job.
    All in all I reckon it's the best compromise between a subscription model and a one-off purchase.
    They are pretty generous terms given the preponderance of annual subscription models these days.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Some don't sound like subscription models, but when you pay a decent amount for every major version update, then that's what they turn out to be. But at least with something like Cubase you can decide to skip versions with no real detriment as the upgrade cost doesn't increase too much if you leave it a couple of years.

Cubase brings out a major upgrade every year (bug fix updates as and when) , and although whole number version upgrades are every other year, the x.5 upgrades contain almost as many upgraded features as the x.0 upgrades.

IIRC, Cubase was going to cost me $149US, so it was out of my budget. Plus the system requirements looked I'd be really pushing it with what I'm running. So far Reaper has been the best fit financially and hardware-wise.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter what Daw you use, it's what you do with it that counts, as well as if it works for you and runs stable enough for your needs, some Daws are better at creating certain genres of music than others, although most of them do support audio recording, midi, vst plugins and etc.

It also depends on your budget too, since you're most likely going to be investing a fair bit of money in the necessary hardware and software, I couldn't really give a rough estimate of how much money I've spent on my studio software and hardware, but it has so far been a fun experience getting it all together.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 25-05-2020 at 11:39 PM.

11. Liked by: dave.king1

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5