Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Beginner player and first build - TL - 1TB

Beginner player and first build - TL - 1TB

Hi everyone,

Just started learning guitar and thought I would make one.

I like the sound of humbuckers, played clean rather than with distortion, which is a reason I picked this kit. I also like the look of the kit with the Bigsby and semi hollow. I am not a fan of the Strat bridges because they are a bit agricultural from a design point of view.

Question: Can I split the humbuckers? Perhaps using a switching pot. Thoughts?

Happy to hear advice and clarification or correction of a beginner's understanding of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwubyd View Post
    Hi everyone,

Just started learning guitar and thought I would make one.

I like the sound of humbuckers, played clean rather than with distortion, which is a reason I picked this kit. I also like the look of the kit with the Bigsby and semi hollow. I am not a fan of the Strat bridges because they are a bit agricultural from a design point of view.

Question: Can I split the humbuckers? Perhaps using a switching pot. Thoughts?

Happy to hear advice and clarification or correction of a beginner's understanding of things.
    Hi and welcome!

The humbuckers with my TL1-TH have just 2 wires, so splitting is not possible. I assume your kit will be same. But generally: 4 wires=splittable, 2 wires=not splittable.

A big challenge I have is how to divide my time between guitar practice and building. I will be interested if you have some good suggestions on that.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

3. Liked by: Joe Garfield

I am sure I will find out. I don't plan to spend a lot of time building. I expect I will build this guitar, finishing it nicely, but not over the top, then just play it.

Then again, if it is anything like bikes, the correct number to have is n+1 where n is the current number you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwubyd View Post
    ...if it is anything like bikes, the correct number to have is n+1 where n is the current number you have.
    It is exactly like bikes. I have 5 bikes and 13 finished guitars, with a bike build in parts, and several guitars in states varying from rough shaped body blank, to awaiting final finish coats.

GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) is very real and quite incurable.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

I think I am immune to GAS then. I just have 4 guitars, 1 on the way, and only 3 bikes. Just don't mention all the effect pedals I have been building
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

7. Liked by: Joe Garfield

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    I think I am immune to GAS then. I just have 4 guitars, 1 on the way, and only 3 bikes. Just don't mention all the effect pedals I have been building
    immune....LOL!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    immune....LOL!
    I must be the closest to immune out of you blokes. 2 guitars with 3 in varying stages of the build process, 2 pedals in the works and 3 cars (2 of which are completely stripped down to the shell) but zero bikes haha.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    I must be the closest to immune out of you blokes. 2 guitars with 3 in varying stages of the build process, 2 pedals in the works and 3 cars (2 of which are completely stripped down to the shell) but zero bikes haha.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Just keep telling yourself that. If you believe hard enough, it might come true!

Im-mune......In denial...... They kind of sound the same....
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

And now the build begins...

Wooowwww. How quickly my post got hijacked!

Okay, I received the guitar today. Neck fit is very snug. I had to round off the edges so it would seat back in the pocket nice like.

My issue is that the fret board is sitting up 8mm. I think it is fine. I will round off the corner real neat like and its all g.

What say you expert geetar builders?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03 fretboard gap.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	340.2 KB 
ID:	35500

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast