Thread: My first build GST-1

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My first build GST-1

Hi all, so I'm about to start my first build, a lovely GST-1 Strat kit. So far I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the Pitbull kit. I'm slowly stepping through the build manual that I found on the Pitbull site. Is there any further info for the ST kits themselves?

I also have some questions regarding what to use for finishes. Below you'll see a couple of pics of my kit, and then one which I found online (on this forum somewhere a while ago if I remember correctly) that shows the look that I want to achieve. Essentially I want to get a colour close to the Fender Hot Rod Red, but still want to allow the pattern of the body grain to show through, and then have a nice smooth glossy finish over it. I'm thinking of using FW's Tung oil, then a stain, and then FW's Wipe on Gloss Poly. Thoughts on this? There seem to be so many options for finishing, so looking for some good advice on this one.

As for the neck, I was thinking just Tung oil for the maple neck, and mineral oil for the Jatoba fretboard? Again, am I on the right track here?

And where would people recommend I obtain a suitable stain? I'm in Brisbane btw, so hoping to pick something up locally rather than relying on COVID-19 affected freight delays from interstate or overseas.

Many thanks, and looking forward to diving into this community and this new addiction, umm I mean hobby
    (I'm already secretly planning kits 2, 3, and 4. Don't tell the wife )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red Strat.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	35048   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9954.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	518.8 KB 
ID:	35042   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0077.JPG 
Views:	212 
Size:	492.6 KB 
ID:	35043   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0080.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	437.7 KB 
ID:	35044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0083.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	327.6 KB 
ID:	35045