Thread: Refurb of Lyn #2

Refurb of Lyn #2

Next to get the treatment was one of my very early builds - Lyn #2.
    https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ead.php?t=1920

The fretboard was pretty filthy like my first refurb. I’m a cheapskate and only replace strings when I have to so the fretboards of all my guitars get fairly neglected. And once again the grime was so ingrained that the TruOil lifted so I had to re-coat the fretboard.

I thought I would try something new (for me) this time and experimented with SuperGlue on the fretboard. It turned out a little streaky but looks highly polished, I like it. Not sure how it will wear but I’m always up for something new. If I were building the guitar for someone else I would try and smooth out the SuperGlue a bit, but its only cosmetic and doesn’t worry me.

One of my “signature” features now days is to replace the black plastic fret dots with MoP. So out with old and in with the new, Voila, nifty fret markers.

Sanding, sanding, to get rid of the original TO but unfortunately I went just a little too far and sanded through the first layer of the thin plywood top. Meh! Nothing I can do about it, so yet another character flaw of an already flawed, but much loved guitar. I think it gives it a homely well loved/worn persona.

I had learnt by my mistakes with the last burst I did and got it OK’ish on the first attempt. When I do burst it is hard for me to know when enough is enough. I reach a point when I think, I’m not there yet, but if I keep going I’m only going to make it worse, so now is a good time to stop. So not perfect, but good enough. Its art, not science.

Again the final coats were TruOil, but unlike my last refurb I thought this one would look better with a gloss so kept going after the satin stage and brought it up to a gloss. I figured if I don’t like it I’ll hit it with some micromesh or 2000 grit paper and knock it back a bit. But as for now I think it will stay gloss.

Before
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thinline_1500.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	378.1 KB 
ID:	38080

After

Name:	IMG_E2289_1500.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	484.5 KB 
ID:	38081

Name:	IMG_E2288_1500.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	494.9 KB 
ID:	38082

Name:	IMG_2286_1500.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	495.2 KB 
ID:	38083

Cheers guys and thanks for dropping in.
    rob

Now this one is a clear winner with the burst for me! Even if you did have a bit of sand-through.

The MOP fret dots certainly add a nice touch as well. Good work!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks Mick, yeah, the burst adds a bit of colour. MoP dots just add a bit of bling to an otherwise ordinary guitar.

I'd have just got the black Sharpie out and touched up the black before adding TruOil. Nice refinish though.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Now this one is a clear winner with the burst for me! Even if you did have a bit of sand-through.

The MOP fret dots certainly add a nice touch as well. Good work!
    I Absolutely agree.
    Just beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk