Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: First Build GST-1

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Personally I wouldn't be happy with that at all. There's a danger that any knock on that horn will open the crack right up.

I'd email Adam and see what he suggests as it's not just cosmetic. That's right through the wood. I'd be after a new body.

Otherwise it would be safest to knock/break that corner off and stick it back on properly. It seems drastic but it is the right way to fix it, same as if it was a neck break.
    I think I would as well looks like a fault in the wood,

If you want to go down the burst road you really need a spray gun or very least an airbrush to do it right, it's pretty easy to make a pigs ear out of it get the body changed 1st

Had a crack at staining the body today. Used feast Watson stain. Pretty happy with how it ended up i think.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200521_172436.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	910.2 KB 
ID:	35246

Name:	IMG_20200521_170619.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	802.4 KB 
ID:	35247

Looks very interesting. Did you use a dark grain filer, or is that just the FW stain on the wood that's brought out that amount of contrast?

I used a very slightly darker grain filler, almost the same colour really. The stain is what really bought out the contrasting grain. I used golden teak as a base and worked out to teak brown and then black Japan on the edges. Easy to work with and blend any mistakes.

What do you recommend using as the clear coat? Thinking satin or gloss

Quote Originally Posted by Royami View Post
    Had a crack at staining the body today. Used feast Watson stain. Pretty happy with how it ended up i think.

Name:	IMG_20200521_172436.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	910.2 KB 
ID:	35246

Name:	IMG_20200521_170619.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	802.4 KB 
ID:	35247
    Full on sent it with that one mate, stunning result! Well done!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

I think you have blended the burst really well, congrats.

I always prefer gloss on the body and a satin neck. I think a poly (like Cabothane) or maybe Tru Oil would work. But it's your guitar, so go for the finish you like. Also see my signature and take anything I say with a large amount of skepticism. Apart from your burst looking awesome. You can trust that bit
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

That stain came out really well, you've gotta be happy with that!
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Full on sent it with that one mate, stunning result! Well done!
    if your gonna send it, you gotta full on send it!

9. Liked by: FrankenWashie

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    I think you have blended the burst really well, congrats.

I always prefer gloss on the body and a satin neck. I think a poly (like Cabothane) or maybe Tru Oil would work. But it's your guitar, so go for the finish you like. Also see my signature and take anything I say with a large amount of skepticism. Apart from your burst looking awesome. You can trust that bit
    Haha thanks mate. I was kinda talked out of doing the burst and I thought " F**k it, if its no good, ill just sand it back and try something else." But im pretty happy with how it ended up. I am looking forward to getting the gloss on now!

Looking at doing the clear coat now. Thinking of feast Watson wipe on poly. Any one used this or can talk me out of it?

Also, it is currently only sanded to 220grit as the stain needed to have something to bite into. Should I be sanding up higher grades before I put clear coat on like you would with paint or will this be removing too much of the stain?
    Thanks

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast