Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Parkes NSW

Cool Hi from Parkes NSW

Thanks for the add... I'm a retired electronics engineer and not much of a musician, but I love music + the art & science of sound. I cut my teeth with valve radios and amplifiers in 1970, at age 12 and find myself at home with boxes of valves & bits. Building two custom valve amps and valve fuzz/reverb for my son and niece, who are musically passionate and more gifted than me. I do have an old Epiphone guitar as part of my lab gear and for visitors to blast through ancien KT66's.

Lots of good info here on these forums and I can smell the passion.
    Erik Lensson, SMIEEE
    Honorary Research Fellow, CSIRO Astronomy & Space Science
    PO Box 422
    PARKES NSW 2870
    Australia
    +61 409 442 597

"... and thirdly, you must not care whether you live or die ..."

Welcome Aelrik.

If you're going to be building a guitar, there will be lots of helpful people here for you get through it, and with your background I'm sure you'll have equally valuable information to share for many of us!

Only caveat, is leave your Elvis costume at the door! (just kidding!)
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Welcome to a fellow CSIRO person. I spent a year seconded to CASS working on image processing software for ASKAP. I learnt a lot, mostly that radio astronomy is hard!

Definitely lots of passionate and helpful people around here.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Welcome Aelrik.

If you're going to be building a guitar, there will be lots of helpful people here for you get through it, and with your background I'm sure you'll have equally valuable information to share for many of us!

Only caveat, is leave your Elvis costume at the door! (just kidding!)
    Thanks, I might just have a go at the headless semiacoustic and nah, I think I’m allergic to Elvis Costumes!
    Erik Lensson, SMIEEE
    PO Box 422
    PARKES NSW 2870
    Australia
    +61 409 442 597

Hi there Jugg,
    Well its a small world after all... the pale blue dot hanging in a remote corner of the cosmos!

I worked on ASKAP too, most of my effort went into telescope construction, plus battling some of the bureaucracy haha!

This COVID isolation seems to be a good time for creative personal ptojectd

Quote Originally Posted by Aelrik View Post
    Hi there Jugg,
    Well its a small world after all... the pale blue dot hanging in a remote corner of the cosmos!

I worked on ASKAP too, most of my effort went into telescope construction, plus battling some of the bureaucracy haha!

This COVID isolation seems to be a good time for creative personal ptojectd
    Yes it is. Since the isolation started I have built 3 guitar pedals, refurbished and modded a 4th, and am most of the way through a fifth. I have also made good progress on my telecaster.

I have always found headless guitars to be odd looking creatures, but I see the appeal.

Cheers,
    DC
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    Yes it is. Since the isolation started I have built 3 guitar pedals, refurbished and modded a 4th, and am most of the way through a fifth. I have also made good progress on my telecaster.

I have always found headless guitars to be odd looking creatures, but I see the appeal.

Cheers,
    DC
    Hi DC,
    Yeah, headless does look a bit odd, but my badass guitarist niece is a bit odd too, so I thought it will be a good match for her to have a headless semi-acoustic! Hehe

What kinds of effects did you build?

I’m contracted by my son to make a custom valve fuzzbox for him, for his studio. He is into electronic music, rather than guitar, so I think the design will need to be a development project... a 19” rack item I expect. I’ve got the usual assortment of 12A?7’s, but also some more exotic NOS items..
    Erik Lensson, SMIEEE
    PO Box 422
    PARKES NSW 2870
    Australia
    +61 409 442 597

Ooh, a valve fuzzbox sounds awesome. I have been thinking of building a valvecaster(there are many descriptions, I just picked this one at random). It's interesting because it uses a 12AU7 and runs off 9v DC, so it would sit comfortably on a pedal board without any extra special power supplies.

All the other stuff I have done recently is in the DIY Pedals section here. Just look for the threads I started. It's all solid-state circuits, mostly on stripboard because I don't etch PCBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    Oh yes, valve pedals really light me up with interest.
    They are tasty. I have been reluctant to build one since I have no experience with valves, but the Valvecaster looks doable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast