Thread: DM-1F Dedman build - gap from guitar body to fretboard

DM-1F Dedman build - gap from guitar body to fretboard

Hi all,

Need some help please. I've been building the DM-1F and I'm concerned the gap between the over hang of the fretboard at the neck joint and the body of the guitar is too large.
    Has anyone built this kit? And could someone measure the distance from the bottom of the fretboard overhang and the guitar body? Mine seems extreme and wondering if I need to sand down the neck pocket so the gap is less. I feel like it should be just above the pickguard.
    I've attached a photo that hopefully shows the issue. The black bit is the pickguard that is still not attached.
    Thanks for any help with this.
    Cheers Sean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200510_084156_compress49_resize_83.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	287.2 KB 
ID:	34975  

Had a look in the photo section.

https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ead.php?t=8234

Looks alright to me.

cheers, Mark.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    That's not abnormal, I haven't made one of these kits though. Its a Tuneomatic style bridge on these isn't it? The issue with doing any sanding on the heel or in the pocket is that you may alter the break angle of the neck. It's doable, but a lot of care must be taken. It may be a better idea to remove material from the neck heel rather than the pocket as it'll be easier to take it down evenly.

See what others have to say before you do anything, but I suspect it will be fine to leave as is.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    That's not abnormal, I haven't made one of these kits though. Its a Tuneomatic style bridge on these isn't it? The issue with doing any sanding on the heel or in the pocket is that you may alter the break angle of the neck. It's doable, but a lot of care must be taken. It may be a better idea to remove material from the neck heel rather than the pocket as it'll be easier to take it down evenly.

See what others have to say before you do anything, but I suspect it will be fine to leave as is.
    Thanks, yeah I wasn't thinking how I would remove the gap.

I've added another photo that shows it better. I've measured also and showing 4mm from guitar body (without the pickguard) to bottom of fretboard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200510-112657_compress14_resize_91.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	34980  

Looks right to me. It is a bolt-on, not a set-neck, and bolt-ons tend to have fretboards that sit higher off the body because there is normally no or very little neck angle (unlike set-necks) to provide height at the bridge.

Here's a completed DM-1S build from early 2018 and it looks pretty much the same to me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gbeauty01.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	346.1 KB 
ID:	35007

The wrap-around bridge is quite tall, so you need a fair bit of height in the neck join to get the strings sitting at a reasonable height above the fretboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Looks right to me. It is a bolt-on, not a set-neck, and bolt-ons tend to have fretboards that sit higher off the body because there is normally no or very little neck angle (unlike set-necks) to provide height at the bridge.

Here's a completed DM-1S build from early 2018 and it looks pretty much the same to me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gbeauty01.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	346.1 KB 
ID:	35007

The wrap-around bridge is quite tall, so you need a fair bit of height in the neck join to get the strings sitting at a reasonable height above the fretboard.
    Thanks all for your help. Yes I'll leave it as is.

Stay safe.. cheers