Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lockdown Mandolin...

I dream of having a mandola one day. I just feel the range would better suit any music I would use it for.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resize1591099811897.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	268.8 KB 
ID:	35451
    Slow progress... The carbon reinforcement for the neck and centreblock done. While I think potentially laminated in place carbon is a better solution than prefabricated rods, I can't recommend it. Getting decent consolidation of the layup was far harder than I hoped, and I have a good bit of experience with the material.

The black stripe is carbon, it runs down the neck and then is spread out across the centre block, so the strands of carbon run from the headstock right through to the tail block.

I've kinda fallen in love with wood rasps. Its never been a tool in my armoury, I've always used things with blades, but as the wood rasp seems to be the tool of choice for neck shaping I bought those couple of cheap Chinese ones . No doubt they'll get blunt before too long, especially when I get onto the rosewood finger board, but I can well understand why people are willing to pay 70quid plus for top quality ones.
    Last edited by JimC; 02-06-2020 at 08:29 PM.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Name:	resize1592054405900.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	35807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resize1592054405725.jpg 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	35808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resize1592054405545.jpg 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	35809

Progressing slowly... The neck is provisionally shaped, the back of the body is glued on now, and I have been agonising over details for the front. I also have to decide on electrics soon. Its a tiny body, not much room to install later, but I could easily spend 5 times the total expenditure so far on pickups. The tuners hurt enough! I'm also looking at getting a pro to cut the fret slots, which will also hurt.
    Last edited by JimC; 14-06-2020 at 02:38 PM.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Looks great so far. Definitely way beyond my ability!

I know what you mean about cost blow outs though. I built a pedal once and doubled my parts cost just because I wanted fancy knobs.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    ust because I wanted fancy knobs.
    Don't we all?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Don't we all?
    Yes, yes we do.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Speaking of knobs, I thought it would be cool to have a thumb wheel type volume control in the side of the instrument, but then I investigated the practicalities and changed my mind!
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Current state of affairs. The body is glued together. I'm waiting for the fretboard to come back - I outsourced the job of cutting the slots having low confidence in both my skills and my available tools.

The bridge shown is a first pass, its (I hope) about 5mm too high. Doing the intonation will be hard work with nothing adjustable other than by moving the bridge back and forward and sanding it lower.

The tailpiece is also an experiment, Mandolin tailpieces mostly come in three varieties, thin pressed steel plate ugly and kitsch, but cheap, pressed steel plate, complicated, still rather kitsch and worryingly expensive or finally sophisticated cast design, viciously expensive and rather large lumps.

What I'm thinking about are four stainless steel pins (dinghy rigging pins actually) which will go through this little rosewood block and into the tail piece below. It will need some kind of surround though to protect hand from string ends, but I'm still working on that.

Name:	IMG_20200623_193407-s.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	36135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200623_193547-s.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	36136Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200623_193615-s.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	36137

I wish I had some of you guys skills in finishing though, it would be nice to have some kind of sunburst, but I'm not at all confident. Also most spruce top finishes I've seen have tended to veer towards the antique violin look, which I'm less taken by.
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Little roadblock on the journey. I gave a quick wipe with white spirit, and the sapele neck and meranti (at a guess) back and sides look truly horrible together. Like it or not it looks as if I'm going to have to learn to do wood staining - and brush up on my 40 years unused colour matching skills...
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Well, that was a roller coaster...
    I was talking about a need to dye the sides. I decided I'd also try a sort of burst with the dyes I had. Result, on spruce, highly unsatisfactory and blotchy.

Name:	resize1593776409028.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	175.2 KB 
ID:	36436
    I now hear that it's considered good practice to put a coat of shellac down on spruce before dye...

And so my first idea was to try what putting a fake binding border would look like, so out with the dry wipe marker.

Name:	resize1594395395202.jpg 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	36437
    Really not much better.

At this stage I was about to order a piece of wood for a new top. However I thought I'd try and remedy before pressing 'the button' so out with my favourite boat building tool the random orbital sander.

Name:	resize1594395395020.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	36438
    So with a lot of scraping round the neck and fine paper I got to here. The top is now on the thin side, but I don't think [hope?] riskily so. Wasn't brave enough to try another dye job - nor enough wood to get one wrong...
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast