Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help wiring

Help wiring

I have followed the instructions so far but have come to a stand still with the wiring because there is no wiring diagram for the GTL-1 kit please help am stuck

Hi Louis.

That will be a standard telecaster-style wiring.

You can use the Pit Bull Guitars one here, or any typical tele diagram you find online. (Seymour Duncan, Guitar Electronics etc)

EDIT:

Thought I'd add this diagram. It should relate to your kit included switch easier:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3way imp switch TL.jpeg 
Views:	139 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	34965
    Last edited by McCreed; 09-05-2020 at 02:23 PM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Hi Louis.

That will be a standard telecaster-style wiring.

You can use the Pit Bull Guitars one here, or any typical tele diagram you find online. (Seymour Duncan, Guitar Electronics etc)

EDIT:

Thought I'd add this diagram. It should relate to your kit included switch easier:

Name:	3way imp switch TL.jpeg 
Views:	139 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	34965
    Yes but seems to be 2 wires in the connection where the pickups go and am not sure what they are

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Girling View Post
    Yes but seems to be 2 wires in the connection where the pickups go and am not sure what they are
    Pickups vary in how the wires are arranged and what colours they use. Can you describe what you have, or better still, upload a photo showing the wires from your pickups?
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    Pickups vary in how the wires are arranged and what colours they use. Can you describe what you have, or better still, upload a photo showing the wires from your pickups?

Name:	IMG_20200510_104155_resized_20200510_124534311.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	283.0 KB 
ID:	34978
    the black and white wire are connected to the same point the red is where the output jack wire comes from tho there is only on wire which is not split but will have to finger that out

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Black wire I think is your bridge earth. White wire is earth to the jack so, inside tab of the jack. Red wire is the hot wire to the outside tab of the jack.

Out of the pickups the hot wire for goes to one of the outer tabs on the selector switch, the earth, which is likely a bare wire can go to a convenient earth point like the back of the volume pot.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Is it just me, or the switch casing grounded by a red wire? If so, no wonder there's confusion.

Hard to see exactly what's going on there.

Anyway, maybe this will help: (click to expand)

Name:	PBG TL wiring 7 Lug reszd.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	340.7 KB 
ID:	34982

Note that the coloured lines I drew for the pickup wires are not representative of the actual wire colours. They are arbitrary colours just to differentiate them from each other and the rest.
    Last edited by McCreed; 10-05-2020 at 11:12 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Funny how things are; this morning i set myself up to do my own wiring ... was having issues ... looked up the community page ... and there you go, im not alone - and only by a day.
    I certainly apprciate the diagram posted by McCreed; but there are some differemnces in the "pre wiring" and the diagram ... and im pretty sure they are imporatnt. I REALLY appreciate some assistance.

Name:	95553687_306799500309008_7361591868242526208_n.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	34981

This is what i have: note the 3 way switch has already been bridged on 1&2 as well as 7&8, um;ike the McCreed diagram which is 2&3 and 6&7. regardless - there seems to be no similarity with the TL-1 wiring diagram in that the pick ups i have been supplied have the two wires, and the TL-1 diagram has only one. The online diagram DOES have the same bridges on the pick up switch however. Im not a great circuit understanderer ... but i can lift things.
    I am mightily confused

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Is it just me, or the switch casing grounded by a red wire? If so, no wonder there's confusion.
    Yeah it is, but in a setup this basic it's not a real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by G8tr View Post
    Funny how things are; this morning i set myself up to do my own wiring ... was having issues ... looked up the community page ... and there you go, im not alone - and only by a day.
    I certainly apprciate the diagram posted by McCreed; but there are some differemnces in the "pre wiring" and the diagram ... and im pretty sure they are imporatnt. I REALLY appreciate some assistance.

Name:	95553687_306799500309008_7361591868242526208_n.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	34981

This is what i have: note the 3 way switch has already been bridged on 1&2 as well as 7&8, um;ike the McCreed diagram which is 2&3 and 6&7. regardless - there seems to be no similarity with the TL-1 wiring diagram in that the pick ups i have been supplied have the two wires, and the TL-1 diagram has only one. The online diagram DOES have the same bridges on the pick up switch however. Im not a great circuit understanderer ... but i can lift things.
    I am mightily confused
    Ok one of the long yellow wires coming off your volume pot should be the bridge earth. It's connected to the outer tang of the pot which should also be earth to the back of the pot. The other yellow wire is the output juack earth (to centre tang on the out put jack) as per this diagram (mono version)

red wire from the centre of the volume pot is the hot wire to the positive tang on the jack.

I am guessing both black wires from the pickups are earth in this case, so they can both be soldered to the back of the volume pot. The white and yellow wires out of the pickups are your hot wires, so they need to go to the outer tabs on the switch, the outer two most should be bridged I think for this kind of switch (someone will correct me if I'm wrong here) Neck should go to the end closer to the pots and bridge should go on the opposite site for the switch to work the right way (it'll still work if you swap that just back to front)

I think everything else is ok.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast