Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: BYO Guitar Semi-Hollow: The Impatience Build

BYO Guitar Semi-Hollow: The Impatience Build

I’ve been waiting almost 5 weeks for my first PB guitar and the anticipation is killing me . Nobody has any idea when it will actually ship but I really want to mess around on an electric, so I just ordered this from the US.

They’re calling it ‘paint grade’ because of a knot in the back. I’d love to avoid painting or doing a burst so I’m trying to think of other creative ways to hide the knot: maybe some fake grain or something? Anyone have ideas/suggestions?

It’s a solid mahogany body, flame veneer over ‘solid’ maple top, 24 fret and 25.5” scale length. I’m assuming it will get all new electronics, wiring, hardware, etc.

Name:  24F047A3-6DC5-4052-BF59-EB83C7F5835F.jpeg
Views: 540
Size:  25.6 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	607C2369-9214-433E-AF1D-D039E6CB312E.jpeg 
Views:	176 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	34956Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C2BF634B-2023-407C-AB90-E1F8FC6DF42F.jpeg 
Views:	211 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	34957

2. Liked by: Cliff Rogers

The knot doesn't look that bad to me.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Yeah I was happy when I saw the pic, I was expecting worse for ‘paint grade.’ I figure it’s just an opportunity to learn - maybe I can use tinted grain filler or something to help hide it. No big deal at all if I can’t, but if I can, it seems like a good skill to have for future projects.

20 years ago I was a finish carpenter and became a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to wood.
    Last edited by Joe Garfield; 09-05-2020 at 11:36 AM.

I am interested to see how you manage it. My kit is basswood with a most uninteresting grain, so I went solid paint thinking it would be easier. I am unsure if it is, but it has it's own challenges.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

6. Liked by: Joe Garfield

Mentor
    Depends what finish you are thinking about but if you are going to stain I honestly wouldn't even bother trying to hide that knot because it's very small and it's on the back anyway.

Depends what finish you are thinking about but if you are going to stain I honestly wouldn't even bother trying to hide that knot because it's very small and it's on the back anyway.
    +1

ignore this bit, I just needed more characters
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

USPS is showing “Delivered” to an address in the state the guitar was shipped from. Hopefully it’s just a label mistake but it’s starting to seem like the universe really doesn’t want me to have an electric guitar (my PB guitar is now delayed 5-7 weeks.)
    *Pictures may be rotated due to my proximity to the equator.

I agree +2. Nothing wrong with the knot, it is part of the timber grain. I definitely would not solid colour (Whoops- translate that - color) that kit. Love mahogany.
    I'd be Tru-Oil only on the the mahogany but I'm a Tru-Oil lover.
    I will be interested in your colour selection on the maple. (Then Tru-Oil again. hihi)
    Guitars:
    Build #4 - Scratch SG - Qld Mahogany - In Progress
    PBG#3- - ES-1F - kit electronics (Dec 2020)- upgrade if I can do it justice
    PBG#2- - STA-1 Ash w black upgrades GOTM June 2020
    PBG#1- LP-1MQ http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6378
    Acoustics -Washburn WD18SW
    - Maton Australian EA80C
    Electric - Magnum pseudo Stratocaster - upgraded with PitBull bits - 2020

11. Liked by: Joe Garfield

I like that there's some dark grain around the knot. I think it will be fine, I just don't want the grain around the knot to absorb color/stain and the knot end up glaring. I didn't mean to make that big of a deal about it, but thought if there was a creative way to blend it in more I would try it.

BYO Guitar said all the packages they sent that day are being labeled as 'delivered' so it sounds like a scanning mistake. Hopefully the guitar will be here today or Monday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4CAD3C19-DF5C-4895-B3F7-74C12A82C33B.jpeg 
Views:	181 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	35142Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C6E9E5F6-595E-4410-928F-3FB91383BA54.jpeg 
Views:	152 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	35143

It arrived, and it’s beautiful.

Very hollow - the horns are hollow and it’s light. It should resonate nicely. The neck seems like a perfect fit - a slight tap with the palm seats it and it doesn’t fall out at mild angles. Hardware is as to be expected although it comes pre-wired.

It feels narrow at the nut but matches PRS “Pattern” dimensions (width and depth) so I think it should be OK.

I’m very happy with this.
    Last edited by Joe Garfield; 17-05-2020 at 08:45 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast