Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: I bought the cheapest kit I could find on eBay - let's see if this was a good idea

In the words of the great German philosopher Peter Fox "Hey, wenn's dir nicht gefällt, mach neu" (Hey, "make new" [start over] when you feel like it)
    Last edited by fender3x; 10-07-2020 at 06:27 AM.

Guys, thank you so much for your kind words!

Today, my new nut arrived in the mail. I found a TusQ nut that works, I just had to sand it thinner and remove some width on the left and right.
    I noticed that the nut slot on the guitar wasn't perfectly level, so I filled the bass side of the slot with wood filler, and sanded it level when it was dry.

Now the new nut is in place and it's already a big improvement. I was able to get all strings to a decent height. Still a tiny bit of fret buzz but nothing compared to how it was before. I think I'll leave it this way, it works well. Maybe I'll change the strings on the bass side to a thicker gauge but let's see.

Before taking any drastic steps and alter the neck, I'm trying to get used to it first :-)
    I've been playing it almost daily and it's already better now, I only have problems reaching the low E and A with my pinky, which is too short. I have to twist my wirst a bit more than I'd like to, but I've been spiderwalking the neck and I hope it helps me to get used to it faster.

And while I still admire the feeling of the tru oil, I think it's too delicate as a finish. I know it can be fixed really easily compared to other finishes, but I can already see many fine scratches just from gently using the guitar. I know it will take a bit more time to completely cure and harden, but if there isn't a miracle happening, I don't think the tru oil is very durable for a guitar that's getting played. I'm not rough with my stuff (I think), I never dinged it, always put it on padded surfaces etc, but still, there are some marks.

I'm going to hang this guitar on the wall for a few weeks without playing it much, so I can see if it hardens a little more.
    I don't know what I'm doing but I hope I will end up with a guitar

Glad to hear you got the nut sorted.

As far as Tru Oil not being a good guitar finish, I'm wondering if you go a bad batch given the trouble you had with some spots not setting.
    I have use Tru Oil on both bodies and necks and never had an issue. I was originally created applying to the wooden stocks of shotguns and rifles. As you can imagine guns are exposed to all kinds of elements when hunting (rain, snow, mud) so it's meant to be durable.

FWIW, most finishes ( apart from UV cured) take at least 30 days before they cure (and the word "cure" is thrown around pretty liberally) and some, like nitrocellulose lacquer, never fully stop gassing off.

Just a couple of my thoughts.

It's good that you're becoming more comfortable with the profile too. It sucks having a guitar you don't want to play .
    Last edited by McCreed; 11-07-2020 at 03:32 PM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by ThatCluelessGerman View Post
    I don't think the tru oil is very durable for a guitar that's getting played.
    Its intended for sporting guns, which lead a much harder life than guitars, so there's every possibility it will harden up. I noticed with mine that it really was weeks before tru oil would sand to discrete dust particles, rather than roll up into little pseudo fibres.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

It can get very hard indeed. I'd suggest putting it aside for a few weeks (if you can), then re-polishing it.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16