Thread: First Build

First Build

Hi Guys,
    Thought I would have a crack at building a guitar during the current social distancing mode we are in to give me a project that would give me a challenge.
    I live in NSW just outside Canberra.

I might be crazy but I picked a ADG 612L which arrived earlier in the week. I have watched most of the construction videos but I can’t find anything specific for this guitar ( other than the wiring diagram which is great).
    I have one question which one of you experienced gentlemen might be able to help me with.

The pickups have cambers on them. I am assuming that the two pick ups closest to the necks are the ones with yellow wires (the skinniest two of the four pickups) and that the thinnest edge goes closest to the necks and that the rear pickups are the ones with the red wires ( the thicker two of the four) and that the thickest edge goes to the rear. It seems to me that this would give the closest consistent distance from the pickups to the strings.
    Can anyone confirm if my assumptions are correct?

Dude! Respect, that’s a hell of a first build choice! Welcome to the forum 😁
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

What Frankie said! WOW!

To answer your question about the pickups, you are correct. Thicker pickup rings for bridge position, thinner for neck position and "slope" towards the neck.

And, welcome!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I don't know all the kits by rote, so I had to look up the AGD-612. I agree, wow! That's more guitar than I would feel comfortable building (see disclaimer), so kudos.

There are some build diaries for these kits, including this recent one, so you might find specific tips in those. Otherwise, all the build diaries contain useful information.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Ambitious, I like it. Just treat it like eating an elephant. One bite at a time.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by sonic mountain View Post
    ambitious, i like it. Just treat it like eating an elephant. One bite at a time.
    bahahahahahaha!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Thanks Gents,
    I will take it slowly and try and seek advice when needed. I am currently waiting for copper shielding which is on its way from WA. In the meantime I have started sanding and have mock assembled the necks, pick ups and plastic shrouding to see how they all fit together.
    Question. Should I undercoat/prime before I drill the pickup frame holes or do you think I should undercoat first?
    Would be happy to get your opinions.