Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual Build: GSJ-1 and GSM-1

Those colors are fantastic

Looking spot on Simon. Enjoy the sailing!

The GSJ is almost finished. This was taken at 10am this morning. Going out visiting has stopped final stringing up, testing and setting up (still out ATM).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0C70D36F-A701-44FD-A83F-6748333B0529.jpeg 
Views:	179 
Size:	353.4 KB 
ID:	37162

I’m going to finesse the pickguard shape and make a 3-ply truss rod cover as the 1-ply black one is a bit uninteresting. The finish is OK, not perfect, a few small flaws but not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    The GSJ is almost finished. This was taken at 10am this morning. Going out visiting has stopped final stringing up, testing and setting up (still out ATM).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0C70D36F-A701-44FD-A83F-6748333B0529.jpeg 
Views:	179 
Size:	353.4 KB 
ID:	37162

I’m going to finesse the pickguard shape and make a 3-ply truss rod cover as the 1-ply black one is a bit uninteresting. The finish is OK, not perfect, a few small flaws but not bad.
    Looking absolutely stunning Simon !

Looks nice Simon. I agree that a 3-ply TR cover would really stand out better.

Is your logo a decal or an inlay? I can't remember.

Also, that 5 string bass in the background looks interesting. Have we seen that one before?
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    ...5 string bass in the background looks interesting. Have we seen that one before?
    I'm pretty sure I haven't, and I've been there! Mind you I'm sure I've only seen a smallish subset of Simon's guitars.
    Build #1, failed solid body 6 string using neck from a scrapped acoustic (45+ odd years ago as a teenager!)
    Build #2, ugly parlour semi with scratch built body and ex Peavey neck
    Build #3, Appalachian Dulcimer from EMS kit
    Build #4, pre-owned PB ESB-4
    Build #5, Lockdown Mandolin
    Build #6, Sixty six body for Squier
    Build #7, Mini Midi Bass

I noticed the 5er also.

Not sure what you mean by flaws... It looks like EXACTLY the finish I have in my mind's eye of the ideal SG finish. Agree about the truss-rod cover. I am pretty sure I remember being intimidated when Simon was showing how he made the logo inlay ;-)

I gave up on the abalone disks as even with stacked layers of the thin sheet, I couldn’t get a smooth surface without pits as the thin material must have come away when sanding. So I swapped to using a nice and thin pearlescent silver self-adhesive vinyl film, that I cut as a circle, and stuck that on a flat headstock surface. Then a self-made laser printed decal in black on top and then just layers of clear-coat. The silver still retains some 3D-action, a reduced depth of clear-coat would have retained more, but I wasn’t going to risk sanding through as I’d redone and touched up these headstocks so many ****ing times that I couldn’t face another sand-back and refinish. This one has a slight mark in the logo where I tried to remove some dust with a scalpel point which left a mark that didn’t go away when filled with clear-coat and levelled/polished. See above for acceptance.

Great looking guitar. I love the colour of the stain.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

It’s actually stain and then some vintage cherry tinted lacquer on top as well. Various sand-through at the edges required touch-ups, and I thought the central join line quite prominent, so I added a couple of tinted lacquer coats to help blend the fixes and pull everything together. As always, the lacquer ends up darkening as it dries, so it’s darker than envisaged, though I’m not displeased at all and I like it a lot It’s just that it and the GSM should have been near-identical guitars, but the GSM has turned out a lot brighter.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast