Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SG headstock

SG headstock

This must have been covered a few times but where do I find an sg type headstock design the correct size to download and draw round?
    I reckon Gibson are a bit tight about it as there are loads of Fender ones.
    Also (I don't want a Gibson logo) but how do I print gold with my laser printer so I can use my waterslide paper with my own design?

Quote Originally Posted by J.R.303 View Post
    how do I print gold with my laser printer so I can use my waterslide paper with my own design?
    I use clear decal paper and print the black outline.
    I reverse the image before printing it so it's effectively upside down and then carefully paint the letters.
    When the decal is applied the black outline will cover any inaccuracies with the paint.

cheers, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post
    I reverse the image before printing it so it's effectively upside down and then carefully paint the letters.
    When the decal is applied the black outline will cover any inaccuracies with the paint.

cheers, Mark.
    If you reverse the image, does that mean you are painting on the top surface, and applying the decal glue-side up? Does this affect adhesion?

How does it go if you print normally and then paint onto the adhesive side of the decal (peeling paper off first)?
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Maybe a bit long winded but it works for me
    1 google SG headstock
    2 find a picture that is straight on and sharp and copy to your pc
    3 edit picture in 'paint' at 100% and depending on your screen size measure and resize the picture
    4 remember the resize % as your pc will always be the same
    5 print out and check measurements (I use the nut width as my guide)
    6 if the print out is wrong just resize until it prints lifesize
    7 cut out the picture and paste on your stock blank with a light water base glue

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    If you reverse the image, does that mean you are painting on the top surface, and applying the decal glue-side up? Does this affect adhesion?

How does it go if you print normally and then paint onto the adhesive side of the decal (peeling paper off first)?
    You can do it either way.
    I initially printed it right way up and then soaked it and flipped it over...let it dry and then paint.
    Works well like that but it makes no difference doing it the other way.

Doesn't seem to affect adhesion.

cheers, Mark.

6. Liked by: jugglindan

Quote Originally Posted by king casey View Post

cheers, Mark.
    Clever,thanks.

You can always use a spare bit of decal paper, soak off the decal part and transfer some of the glue from that with your finger to the area the decal will go. You can also use the decal fix solution you get for model kits for a stronger bond.

Just download a SG plan pdf. Then you don't have to efff around sizing it. There are sheetloads of free plans on the interwebs! Try " electric guitar Herald" I know they have an accurate SG plan at 1:1 scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Tassieaxeman View Post
    Just download a SG plan pdf. Then you don't have to efff around sizing it. There are sheetloads of free plans on the interwebs! Try " electric guitar Herald" I know they have an accurate SG plan at 1:1 scale.
    Yeah, the only ones seem to be on pintrest which I don't like or see the point of and re sizing is confusing!
    I'll have a look at that thanks.

Using Tassieaxeman's link. There's no resizing needed if you do it like this:

Go here: https://www.electricherald.com/gibso...itar-template/

Scroll down to "Body & Headstock"
    Download the PDF to your hard drive
    Open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat Reader
    Move the document around the headstock is positioned completely in the viewer
    Go into "Print"

Set the following in the printer window:
    Under "Pages to Print" tick More Options > Current View
    Under "Page Size & Handling" tick Actual Size
    Now hit Print

It will print out the headstock shape in full scale. Done!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast