Thread: Grover Tuner problem

Grover Tuner problem

Has anyone had problems with Grover Rotomatics breaking strings.
    I installed and strung the Grovers yesterday for the first time.
    Then I tried the new build and the middle pub was dead. Turned out to be a short with the copper foil. But that’s another story for the build diary.
    Anyway I had to take the strings off so I could unscrew the scratch plate to check the wiring. I hadn’t cut the excess off.
    When I unwound 4 of the Grovers they just released the strings and I pulled them out.
    The other two broke the string at the Hole when then went back past at which they were loaded the point.
    Has anyone had the same problem?
    Maybe they were not designed to allow reuse of strings.
    Guitars:
    Build #4 - Scratch SG - Qld Mahogany - In Progress
    PBG#3- - ES-1F - kit electronics (Dec 2020)- upgrade if I can do it justice
    PBG#2- - STA-1 Ash w black upgrades GOTM June 2020
    PBG#1- LP-1MQ http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6378
    Acoustics -Washburn WD18SW
    - Maton Australian EA80C
    Electric - Magnum pseudo Stratocaster - upgraded with PitBull bits - 2020

Reusing strings in locking tuners is never a good idea, but the shouldn't break. There are two probably causes. Either the post hole has some rough edges or the locking pin has rough edges at the end. I had a set of these locking tuners that I fitted to a friend's guitar and the strings broke. https://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/j...anded-guitars/

So I removed the locking pins (just keep loosening the tightening knobs for the locking pin and they will come out) and you could feel the rough edges on the pins. A few grades of wet and dry later and they were nice and smooth and never gave any issues after that.

Also worth checking the post hole for rough edges (with the locking pin out). I used a round needle file first, just sticking the end in the hole and rotating it. I then rolled up a small piece of fine grit sandpaper (P400) and ran it through the tuning post holes a couple of times. That should sort out any roughness.

Good info Simon. I recently bought a set of budget locking tuners but have installed them yet.
    I believe they're Jin Ho. I'll check the post holes & pins before I install them just to be safe.
    Cheers
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks for sharing. I didn’t know about locking tuners and reusing strings. I learned something from your experience.

The locking pin puts a really big kink in the string, which makes it very awkward to put back. It will also weaken the string if you straighten it to be able to put it back, and then try and lock it in the same place.

The main drawback of locking tuners.

If you know you are still setting the guitar up and will need to keep loosening the strings to remove a scratchplate or neck, then I'd keep the strings quite long so you end up with several turns of string around the post to start with, so that you have enough to remove them and cut the string end back - so you use a fresh bit of string each time.

Then only fit the strings properly once everything is set up. Align the post holes so they are facing the appropriate nut slot, pull the string tight and clamp it. Then you should take around just 2/3 to 3/4 of a turn of the post before the string is up to tension.

Thanks again Simon

You would not believe it but I had to take the scratch plate off again because the knobs were to high above the plate. I upgraded to Bourne minis and didn't realize they had long shafts till all was assembled. The Bournes from Pitbull do not come with the extra nut to adjust the height although the Bourn spec says they are provided. I gave up trying to get some nuts so tried 10mmm washers from Bunnings with worked fine. 2 per pot.
    Anyway I was not happy thinking about taking the strings off again but as I turned out I did not break any this time. I have no idea if I did anything different. Now waiting for a couple of roller trees to let me finish the guitar. The freight is sur a mess. I have waited about a month for various last minute bits to arrive.

I am not sure I like the lockers. They sure are vicious on the strings. I can see the point in using them for tremolos and a lot of bending as for which they are advertised. They will stop the string loosening on the machine. But I am shying away from putting them on an ES I am currently planning.
    Guitars:
    Build #4 - Scratch SG - Qld Mahogany - In Progress
    PBG#3- - ES-1F - kit electronics (Dec 2020)- upgrade if I can do it justice
    PBG#2- - STA-1 Ash w black upgrades GOTM June 2020
    PBG#1- LP-1MQ http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6378
    Acoustics -Washburn WD18SW
    - Maton Australian EA80C
    Electric - Magnum pseudo Stratocaster - upgraded with PitBull bits - 2020