Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tuner machine screws

Tuner machine screws

Hi All,

Okay stupid question, but I seem to have lost my screws for the tuning Machines (you know the tiny ones).

Does anyone know where I could but these in Australia?

Do you mean the very small screws that go through the tuner and into the rear of the headstock? According to my digital calipers (flat battery so just reading by eye off the scale), they are 2.5 mm diameter and 12 mm long. So that would be M2.5 x 12mm self tapping screws. Most of the stuff on eBay is for packets of 50 or more.

I went for Grover upgrades, so I have a spare set of screws from the original tuners. If you PM your address I can post my spare set to you. Mine are from a Tele, so I have 6 screws, 1 per tuner. Hopefully that is how many you need.

Adam at PBG might also be able to send replacements.

Postage will be more than the screws, but I always order more than I need and/or stock up on other small items I may need in future (eg: pots) to help offset the per unit postage cost. (you could call that justification )

Real Tone Music

I buy a lot from these guys and they're very good to deal with.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Actually, they are not self-tapping. Just M2.5 x 12mm wood screws (the ones with a sharp point). Self-tapping wouldn't work as well since they are more blunt and would need a pilot hole to get started. I can just send you my spares.

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    Actually, they are not self-tapping. Just M2.5 x 12mm wood screws (the ones with a sharp point). Self-tapping wouldn't work as well since they are more blunt and would need a pilot hole to get started. I can just send you my spares.
    Self-tapper or wood screw makes no difference. They both should have a pilot hole or there is a very good chance of twisting those little heads off. Especially with little ones like tuner, string tree or truss rod cover screws and especially if they're going into maple.
    There isn't one screw, regardless of size, in a guitar that I don't pre-drill. It's just asking for trouble not to.

If you ever have a tuner screw break off, you're in for some fun fixing it. Completely doable, but it's a PITA and there's not much room for hiding the repair.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I keep forgetting just how hard maple is. And I should probably preface all my comments with "I haven't done woodwork since high school (and I didn't pay much attention then), but ..."

I haven't gotten to the drilling part yet, but yes, I will be using pilot holes. And I know enough to know about putting tape around the drill bit to indicate required depth since I don't have a bench drill with a depth gauge.

7. Liked by: Joe Garfield

Thanks Jugglindan,

I sent you a PM your a lifesaver! Yep I need the 6 screws.

No worries, I should be able to get them sent tomorrow.

Also, note my new signature Be sure to use pilot holes!
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Lol, love the new signature and thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by FCD View Post
    Hi All,

Okay stupid question, but I seem to have lost my screws for the tuning Machines (you know the tiny ones).
    That’s fortunate. The first thing you should when you get a kit is throw out the tuner screws. They are poorly made of the cheapest mystery metal. Any screws from Bunnings would work better.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast