Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Backing tracks, loopers, etc for home practice

I've been using BIAB since early 2018 and think it's brilliant for building songs.

Roughly 70% of the tracks in the link in my Sig are built in BIAB, we build the backing, load into the DAW, lay down the vocals and then I strip out the guitars & bass to lay down human stuff.

From 2019 onwards BIAB opens as a VST in the DAW of your choice.

BIAB Pro is the most basic version but is more than enough for most, I use the Ultra package.

Note. Realband is not available in the Mac version

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    All good suggestions above. I'll just throw in that there a tonne of backing tracks on You Tube also.

I use a NUX Loop Core Deluxe which has 25 drum patterns and I just record my own bass loop into it. It's a good unit, but doesn't have all the bells & whistles of some more exy ones available. Works for me though. Sub 200 bucks AUD.
    Great suggestion! That looks like it does most of what I want. JamMan Stereo has been first choice up until now, Loop Core Deluxe looks like a real competitor.

I personally dislike fiddling with a computer or other device when I'm playing music. It takes away from the experience - for me, playing music is a break from the computer, my phone, etc. I know there are computers in the pedals, etc. but somehow it's just different. I have a hybrid piano that has all the electronics tucked inside a real piano cabinet, and I get the experience I'm after. I just couldn't get there with digital pianos with LEDs, wires, speakers, etc.

It's a bit (lot?) more expensive than the Nux unit, but the BeatBuddy gets some good reviews. I have never tried one though. And a cheaper option if you just want some drums without the looper is this Mooer pedal.

I haven't used either though. My only experience is with the Trio, playing stuff off the PC, and for a while I was using a Zoom MRS-8. As well as an 8-track it is also a programmable drum machine with a bunch of built-in rhythms. The pads on bottom left are touch sensitive inputs for the drums. I still have it but it sits in a box. The interface is clunky to use and all recording is to SD card with a very painful method of getting tracks off the thing into a computer. I ended up using it as an excessively complicate metronome.

I would give the thing away if someone wanted to cover the postage cost.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Sorry, a bit off topic but...

I used to have the MRS-4. It was good for what it was back 14 years ago, but it was a pain transferring files & formats.

I now have the Zoom R8 which is much better and it will transfer straight to my laptop and also has an interface.
    I know there are heaps better set ups and gear, but I'm pretty crap as an engineer. It suits my needs well enough.
    Use the R8 as a capture device and mix with Audacity on the LT. It has very good drum patterns and sounds which is a bonus.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2