Thread: On board effect help

On board effect help

Hello,

I’m planning an ambitious project (semi acoustic electric, ambitious for me at least) and part of it is an onboard overdrive effect. I know this can be done, but I would like to do it slightly differently from the other guides.

In terms of hardware, it is going to have a 3 way switch (single coil pickup, piezo style pickup and a mix in the middle), master volume knob and master tone knob.

I have two ideas floating around
    1- push-pull knob on one pot that when turned on turns on the overdrive and turning the knob adds/removes overdrive. I like this as it doesn’t require extra hardware on the surface but does the push pull knob remove it’s ability to be a tone knob when it’s in overdrive? I would still like to change tone when the effect is active, so that’s why I’m leaning more towards number 2.

2- additional switch (think rhythm/lead switch) that activates overdrive, allowing complete volume + tone control. Slightly reluctant for this choice as it adds an extra switch therefore possibly another access cavity on the back but I feel like this option is more straightforward.

Can anyone lend me some wisdom and advice in this issue? Is there any particular wiring diagrams that would help out?

Thanks,
    Dylan

What sort of semi-acoustic? 335 style? If so, just want to point out that unless you cut your own rear access plate, getting any sizeable electronics in through the soundhole will be a nightmare. You'd probably want to buy a battery compartment hole as well (unless you planned to power it externally and use a TRS (so-called 'stereo') lead instead of the normal TS type.

The switch on a push/pull is independent of the pot, so you can use it to turn the overdrive on and still be a tone pot. But the depth of the body may limit you as to where you can fit a switched pot, as you need to be able to get the shaft through the hole, which will require some angling in some positions, but you can only angle a pot so much before it won't then pas sup through the hole.

As overdrive is something you'd probably want to switch ion and off mid-song. I'd think about getting a push/push pot instead, as they are so much easier to operate quickly.

Simon I’m thinking more acoustasonic style. Already planning control cavity access and pickup/string access and I’m aware of the battery needed. I’m thinking of keep the battery in the control cavity, possibly in a cradle or just taped down. I heard that wiring up a stereo output jack will allow the battery to be disconnected when it’s not plugged in, leading to longer battery life and I’m happy to take the whole plate off to access it when necessary.

OK, that helps. There area couple of DIY Acoustisonic builds I've seen on YouTube. Presumably you've seen something similar which has inspired you?

Yes I’ve been watching those. The original idea came from seeing the price tag of them and thinking “hey, I could probably make that for much cheaper”