Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: BYOG QLD Jam?

I don't have any gear except guitars, pedals and amps that I have built sorry.
    No worries. I'm sure between us it would get sorted.
    As I said, I can provide a PA with 12 channel desk, FOH/monitors; 4 vocal mics & stands and provide 2 guitar amps for backline.

Hopefully a bass player could provide 1 bass amp. If we have more than one drummer, I might be able to wrangle a kit somewhere.

The optimal scenario would be people just bring their guitars (and show off their builds!)
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Cool! Keep 'em coming!

Cliff, I thought of you being in QLD but not being "local". Then again, 1600k's is local in QLD!

The other mob from the US, use award "honourable mention" to the one that travelled the furthest. That esteemed prize could be yours!
    I live the same distance from Brisbane as half of Melbourne & I am only two thirds of the way to the tip of Qld.
    I do have family in Brissy that I visit, it would just have to line up.
    Cliff

I can borrow a bass amp and a bass guitar if we don't find any one. Its a shame I haven't finished my Jazz Bass build yet. damn its been years....
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

I can borrow a bass amp and a bass guitar if we don't find any one. Its a shame I haven't finished my Jazz Bass build yet. damn its been years....
    That's great. I figured a few pooled resources would get it done.
    Also, I doubt this outing will be happening any time too soon, so maybe you'll have time to finish that bass!

I'm hoping to have my two current builds done by the time we're ready to rock!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy40 View Post
    I don't have any gear except guitars, pedals and amps that I have built sorry.
    That must be a pretty cool feeling! I am slowly getting to that point. Just need to finish the Blueycaster and build an amp. Pedals are sorted. Well, OK, I do still need to build a reverb. How do you manage reverb? Did you build a pedal? Or put a spring reverb tank into your amps?

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    That's one possibility. I guess it depends on how many players we have.
    That's where discussion will be important.
    Do we:
    Make it a family affair? (spouses/partners/kids)
    Have a feed?

If it was at a hall or other venue (in Brissy) I can provide a good PA. There is a rehearsal place here that has a "live" room with stage & PA & lights. I don't know what the total capacity is, but I know bands use it to record live performance videos (with "fans").
    There are quite a few jam spaces around brissy so I guess we just research which is the best fit. Personally I'd prefer to leave the family at home :P but some drinks and a feed might be a nice idea. So perhaps we could organise for a couple of hours messing around with guitars in the arvo and then head off for a pub feed to wrap up. That'd let me keep it to an easy day trip down.

The big struggle will be deciding which guitars to bring!
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    That must be a pretty cool feeling! I am slowly getting to that point. Just need to finish the Blueycaster and build an amp. Pedals are sorted. Well, OK, I do still need to build a reverb. How do you manage reverb? Did you build a pedal? Or put a spring reverb tank into your amps?
    Yep, I have a beltron style reverb pedal. It was the 2nd most difficult pedal I've built. Moodring from Madbean. It was also the most rewarding pedal I've built.

My next amp project will have a spring reverb as I want to learn about them.
    Build #1 - ST-1 - Completed
    Build #2 - LP-1SS - Completed
    Build #3 - TLA-1R - Completed
    Build #4 - SGD-612 - Completed
    Build #5 - ES-1G - Completed
    Build #6 - STA-1HT | Completed
    Build #7 - ST1JR - Completed
    Current Build #8 - JBA-4
    Build #9 - Semi-scratch build Tele x 2 - Completed
    Current Build #10 - PRS-1H
    Current Build #11 - AGJR-1 - Completed
    Current Build #12 - ATL-1SB
    Current Build #13 - GST-1
    Current Build #14 - FBM-1

I've only ever played in originals bands with a pre-arranged set list to rehearse and gig. I have to ask:
    What sort of thing happens at a local jam?
    • Pre-arrange covers are learned and played together?
    • Spend the whole time sitting on a 12 bar progression and everyone has a go at improvising over it?
    • Someone brings along a chord progression, tells everyone what it is, and follow the same format as the 12 bar idea above?
    • Totally random Ornette Coleman style play-whatever-the-F-you-want free jazz?

I'm in Brisbane and play guitar and bass. I'm fairly comfortable playing with others and have a decent enough grasp on theory to get me out of most situations. Can't improvise to save myself though. It's a goal of mine to fix this, and a local jam group seems the obvious way to go about it (once I've tried a thing or two at home first).

I guess in the meantime I could hold down a decent bass line or rhythm guitar while everyone else goes to town.

@Andy123, based on what the other group did, (they really had their shiz together) each person picked something like 3 songs (covers), all the songs were compiled and distributed amongst the participants in advance, then "groups" were arranged by whoever already new the songs and some by who were prepared to learn the songs etc, then there's some just left to chance on the day I guess.

I'm sure there would be some free-form going on even with structured progressions . I've never organised one of these before so I'm waaaaayyyy open to suggestions and assistance.

I'm also sure there will inevitably be a 12 bar jam of some kind. TBH, I play blues-rock so without I-IV-V and a minor pentatonic, I'm pretty well stuffed.
    And FWIW I play blues harp (no, I mean I can really play) so if someone wanted me to blow a bit on their song, I'd be happy to.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Yeah I think it'll mostly end up being a bit of free wheeling. I'm happy to do whatever that majority wants, I enjoy improvisation, but I can learn covers as well. My signature quote pretty much sums up my style.

I can do a bit of almost anything Metal/Punk/Folk/Rock/Indie/Funk/Country

I think mostly we are going to be checking out each others builds and playing swapsies to have a muck around so don't come feelign you have to be 'on'.

The number one rule should be - lets just have some fun.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast