Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Headphones and valve / tube amps

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Garfield View Post

I think Two Notes CAB M is a pretty safe bet. If i donít like the amp modeling I can turn it off. If I donít like the IR I can make my own or buy from Celestion. Or at the very least I can just use EQ, reverb, etc.
    Get in contact with me if/when you need IRs

2. Liked by: Joe Garfield

Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    Get in contact with me if/when you need IRs
    Will do, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    But you'd also need to use it with a cabinet simulator (as they state) with headphones, otherwise you'll get all that HF fizz that sounds awful once you start adding any drive to the sound.

Valve amp headphone outputs use a very simple low pass filter affair, a couple of capacitors and resistors and that's it, to remove most of the frequencies above 6kHz (well I definitely know that's all that Blackstar use). Yes, they'll also use an op-amp to drive the headphone output, but it's just cleanly representing the signal coming from your pre-amp, and not taking anything away. But most valve amps don't have headphone outputs.

If you are going to spend almost all your time on headphones, then either get a solid state modelling amp (they really are very good now), or maybe a valve/tube amp for playing without headphones and some form of stomp or desktop modeller for when you are. But get one of the latest models, as they have all improved considerably since they first came out. For instance, don't get a 10 year-old Line 6 combo. But the Mk 1 and Mk 2 (current) Boss Katana models are certainly worth considering and sound excellent on their own and through headphones.

The Blackstar HT5R is one of the few valve mps that do have a headphone output, and although the speaker emulation is basic, it is useable, and the amp does sound good on its own. But it's only 5W, and although that's more than enough for home use, it's not really enough to gig with unless miked up, and it's never going to sound as nice clean as say a Fender Princeton, Blues Jr or Deluxe.
    Don't waste your time on a Blackstar ht5r I picked up ht5hr with the 2x112 cabs it was rubbish and way overpriced, I got rid of it and replaced it with a Marshall DSL20H and a Marshall 212 cab with a NUX MS-20 and I love the thing, I play it every day on the 10watt setting perfect for not upsetting folks, the boss katana 50 is a great bit of kit, another different option is a line 6 amplifi TT it's a really good thing for using headset heaps of amp models and cabs and effects can go on an amp to computer to headset also has Bluetooth, the boss GT-001 is also a great bit of kit but $400+ their desktop units but for what you want to do without an amp the line 6 amplifi TT would be perfect for you and under $300

👇👇👇

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMw7...nel=Sweetwater
    Last edited by phrozin; 20-05-2020 at 01:26 AM.

Agreed with phrozin about Blackstar ht5r. This one is really overpriced.

Blackstar seems to have a good following but not quite the sound Iím after.
    Ive given in to the G.A.S.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7