Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Headphones and valve / tube amps

Those Yamahas are also fine amps, just not as loud if you did want to gig.

Plus I know that if I ever did get something like the Katana I would spend all my time experimenting with different pedal chain simulations and no time playing.
    Pre-zactly!!!

That's what I love about my Tonemaster DR. It's just an amp. You turn it on, you plug in, and play!
    I don't see that one going anywhere anytime soon.

I also have a Roland Blues Cube Artist. The BC's are also very good "high end" solid state amps.
    Based on a "certain brand" of 6L6 amps, no whistles and chimes, just an amp. (it does have an FX loop which I like though)
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Pre-zactly!!!

That's what I love about my Tonemaster DR. It's just an amp. You turn it on, you plug in, and play!
    I don't see that one going anywhere anytime soon.

I also have a Roland Blues Cube Artist. The BC's are also very good "high end" solid state amps.
    Based on a "certain brand" of 6L6 amps, no whistles and chimes, just an amp. (it does have an FX loop which I like though)
    That said, I do find an evening spent tweaking settings to see how they sound very relaxing. I mean, earlier this week I spent an evening swapping clipping diodes in my TS clone

Would the Kingsley pedal work as a line out to a headphone amplifier?

It probably would (though I can't find anything specific about the typical output voltage level). But you'd still need a speaker emulator between it and the headphone amp unless you only played clean. And of course there's no reverb available either, so you'd need to run a reverb pedal into the preamp.

I don't have anything to add to what Simon said, but at $280US + shipping for a Kingsley, you can a get really good contemporary solid state amp for that kind money. It will be way more versatile for what you're looking to do for home playing, and one day you may want to jam with some mates and you'll be good to go.

D'oh!!! Just realised you are in the US!
    But I still think an amp is the way to go.
    Last edited by McCreed; 30-04-2020 at 06:13 AM.

I'll definitely check out the modeling amps. It's certainly been a long time since I've used or heard one in person.

That said, if there was a way to get authentic tube response and sound in the signal chain, it would be nice. Kingsley says the preamp pedals need a power amp behind them, not necessarily a speaker load, so not sure if a full cabinet (load) emulator is necessary? I have a pair of powered studio monitors I could use for live if they output anything like a line level signal.

But agreed that the Roland Cube amps look pretty decent on paper and YouTube videos.

But agreed that the Roland Cube amps look pretty decent on paper and YouTube videos.
    Still don't know what your budget is, but the standard Cube range offer real bang for the buck and reasonable prices. The available features increase with size (and price) but there's something for everybody there.

The Blues Cube models are where they start to get into near tube amp prices.

I use to have one of the older Cube 30's (mid-2000's) and later a Cube 40-GX (2013). Both were very good, and they've only got better with recent improvements in SS technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Garfield View Post
    Before I knew what was what, my only pedal was a metal zone. I often plugged headphones into the output for silent practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy123 View Post
    Before I knew what was what, my only pedal was a metal zone. I often plugged headphones into the output for silent practice.
    For some reason, this is hilarious

Possibly because I used to do the same thing, but with a cheap Zoom multifx.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast