Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Morin Khuur try out electric concept

That might just be the solution, perhaps I am over complicating it with 2 +V & T, Thank you

As I was re-stringing my old Regal Resonator, I decided to use the old E and A string for a proof of concept test, thanks to Simon for the suggestion. I found that the instrument settled naturally tuned to A and D, also tuned to A and E it was very melodic. The action is low enough and the harmonics and intonation confirms my fret marker lines. These old strings were round wound and a little lighter gauge than my intended strings but still sounded nice. I definitely have to relieve the body in the bowing zone, it bows very comfortably between where my proposed pick-ups are to be located, or indeed maybe only one pick-up. I will be slimming the neck down, to something more akin to a traditional MK. As it is somewhat heavier that a traditional one, there is a tendency for it to slip when in the sitting position, I will remedy that with a rubber anti slip pad on the bottom (as Flying V's have to play without a strap) I am working on the sharks fin that will rotate and give a "top horn" of sorts with a strap button for playing standing up. This is in keeping with my concept of westernisation and electrification. I have not yet installed my back neck tensioner but all seem ok at the moment
    MK3 (2).JPG (94.3 KB)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MK3 (2).JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	34881  

Someone’s been listening to The HU.

Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

[QUOTE=Fretworn;194889]Someone’s been listening to The HU.

Isn't everyone?

Seriously though there is some good stuff coming out of Mongolia, right across the musical spectrum, I was introduced to it many years ago when I met my wife and her family. We were married in Ulaanbaatar and went into the steppes for our honeymoon, culture shock for me but certainly in a good way
    Guns, Guitars, Bikes and Cars and the love of a good woman who allows me to indulge

[QUOTE=impala59;194945]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fretworn View Post
    Someone’s been listening to The HU.

Isn't everyone?

Seriously though there is some good stuff coming out of Mongolia, right across the musical spectrum, I was introduced to it many years ago when I met my wife and her family. We were married in Ulaanbaatar and went into the steppes for our honeymoon, culture shock for me but certainly in a good way
    That is just too cool!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

What a wonderful project!

I've always kicked myself for not bringing one back from Ulaan Bataar when I was there in 2004, although I'm sure I would never have learnt to play it.

Out of curiosity, have you learnt much Mongolian language from our wife? I found it fascinating, and tried hard to learn a little while I was there but it was too difficult
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Yes the language is very difficult and I only manage a few words and sentences, and even then with difficulty! My wife and stepson are fluent in English now and for them it has been just as difficult (although many think the boy is a South Londoner, he has adapted so well that)
    Everyone should visit that country in my humble opinion, one of the least spoilt in the world, although that’s changing as the multi nationals move in. I’m hoping that my project will be finished in time for my mother in law to take it home with her for trials with my wife’s cousins band. ( when flights recommence)

So, been absent while all around me was failing, in between fitting new callipers and rotors to the bike 🏍, they fought me all the way, fitting a tow bar and electrics to the pickup (ute for you guys down under ) and a flooded bathroom, I put on a (recommended) easy finish which dried utter c**p. Then the camera packed up !
    Looking at options now, will post some pics as and when

It never rains around here, but it just comes pouring down.

I hope things improve soon.
    Mantra: No more pedals, must finish BlueyCaster...
    Disclaimer: I haven't done woodwork since high school, and wasn't really paying attention at the time ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast