Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First Acoustic Build!

First Acoustic Build!

I got antsy with my first electric kit being stuck in limbo between Australia and the US, so I thought I’d order an acoustic kit from the US and see which gets here sooner =) I’m just finishing the order process so not sure yet when it’s supposed to be here.

It’s coming from Blues Creek Guitars in Pennsylvania, USA.It’s similar a StewMac or Martin kit, but you get to make more customizations and get direct support from a really great luthier, for basically the exact same price as the other kits.

OM size 14 fret body (20 fret guitar, neck attaches to body at 14 fret)
    Solid Indian Rosewood back and sides
    Solid Sitka Spruce Top
    Ebony bridge and fretboard
    Pearloid Squares and Diamonds inlays
    Tortoise binding
    Tortoise / pearloid rosette
    Tortoise / pearloid back strip (purfling)
    Rosewood veneer headstock (oversize / cut to shape)
    Gotoh nickel tuners
    5/16” scalloped soundboard bracing
    Dovetail Neck
    Specified neck shape

$625 + shipping

http://www.bluescreekguitars.com/shop/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAA04778-BF8D-48EC-B9C0-1E737C26D13A.jpeg 
Views:	150 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	34779
    Last edited by Joe Garfield; 28-04-2020 at 06:40 PM.

My meager woodworking skills are challenged by an electric kit, so I am in awe of anyone that can build an acoustic. It looks great and I am very interested to watch your progress.

Also very interested to see your progress through this project.
    I think it will be challenging in all sorts of areas.
    Good luck Joe!

Has the top and back been pre curved? If not you're gonna have some work making a forming dish.

Quote Originally Posted by Tassieaxeman View Post
    Has the top and back been pre curved? If not you're gonna have some work making a forming dish.
    Yes, you can see them in the pictures.

However having the mould certainly makes it a bit easier to attach the back and sides to the top.

Will you be making your own go-bar arrangement?

Will you be making your own go-bar arrangement?
    I think building an acoustic would require me to have a go-to-the-bar arrangement
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks guys! Yeah, I’m really excited for this one - it should be challenging, fun, and really rewarding.

I posted a generic pic but ordered a custom kit. The top and back are not pre-curved, only the sides and binding are bent and still need to be trimmed. The back will arrive in 2 pieces with a purfling strip to install in between. I’m working on a jig to make the radius dishes (15 ft back, 28 ft top) and will build a go-bar deck. After some consideration I decided to just order the body mold from Blues Creek.

It will ship in about 2 weeks as there are a few other kits ahead of mine. Working with John has been really great so far, particularly in helping tie everything together (inlays, binding, purfling, rosette, etc.) I think this guitar is going to look amazing.
    Last edited by Joe Garfield; 28-04-2020 at 06:50 PM.

I got my invoice and shipment notification today! The kit should be here in a few day. The plan was to build it after I got my first PB guitar, but that’s been stuck in shipping for 4 weeks. So we’ll see what happens! I have the stock PSH-1 in shipment, and custom ordered another PSH-1. I was hoping to get the experience from the inexpensive stock PSH-1 first, and am also more keen to have an electric around to play. But, there’s a pandemic and I’m patient and grateful just to have any options at the moment.

I ended up with a Martin-based cutaway style guitar. I initially inquired about cutaway, but then hadn’t mentioned it again since most sites charge a bit of a fee for the difference. I was very happy today to see John included the cutaway in the quoted price! I ordered the mold and spreader, so that added a little to the cost and especially the shipping. But I’ll take my time and make it nice, so it will be well worth it.

Nice, it sounds like you have pretty good grasp of what your doing. You will be happy with the Martin cutaway dreadnought design. Martin designs have well and truly stood the test of time.
    With your purfling strip on the back. I personally wouldn't glue it between the halves, I'd join it then rout a purfing channel, or better still order a decorative back strap.
    Good luck, look forward to seeing your progress.

10. Liked by: Joe Garfield

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I think building an acoustic would require me to have a go-to-the-bar arrangement
    I'll buy the first round, mate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast