Thread: Newbie Build - TL-1 lefty - holes for wiring

Newbie Build - TL-1 lefty - holes for wiring

Hi folks,
    Helping my son build this TL-1.

Just trying to figure out how the wiring is supposed to leave the pickup(both singles) cavities. There's no holes connecting them to the pot cavity.

Haven't found any information that describes this part of the build.

Cheers
    Fipsy

Hi Fipsy.
    Sounds like it was an oversight at the factory. There definitely should have been holes bored from neck p/u cavity to the bridge p/u cavity and bridge p/u cavity to the control cavity. Must have been a Friday arvo or Monday morning production.

I would first contact Adam and get his advice. He's very good at replacing parts that aren't right.
    This a problem that can be remedied DIY, but it being your first build, you may not have the tools or experience to carry it out yourself.

However if you are game, the hole from the neck p/u cavity to the bridge p/u cavity requires a long auger bit which is drilled straight through the neck pocket all the way to the bridge cavity. I would recommend a 6 - 6.5mm bit.
    If you use the bottom of the pocket as a guide (ie: rest the bit along the bottom) you can keep it pretty parallel to the plane of the body and not poke out through the front or the back. (definitely want to avoid that!)

The bridge to control cavity is a little trickier because it needs to be done on an angle. With the small size of the bridge p/u cavity you just need to be somewhat careful not to hog out the edge of the cavity routing with the auger bit resting on the edge. It's a good idea to keep a piece of cardboard or thin ply between the bit and the body to prevent this.

If it gets buggered up a little, it's not the end of the world as the tele bridge plate will cover it to a certain degree. Of course we always want to try and do the cleanest job we can.

See what Adam says and let the group know if we can be of anymore help!

Cheers,
    Mick
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Mmm, that might be a bit of a factory oopsie. You’d need to take a long series drill bit and link those pup cavities and the control cavity.
    Have you got a photo?
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Thanks Mick,

I pretty much figured out what I needed to do (I'm 'handy' enough to manage it, no problems), just need to get the auger bit.

I wasn't sure if I could safely run the neck pup wire with the bridge pup wire to the control cavity(from the bridge pocket) without risking any 'noise' between the wires.

An alternative I considered was to rout a shallow channel from the neck pocket to the control pocket and run the wire along there. This would hide the wire under the pick guard nicely also. Given the control pocket cover meets the pick guard nicely, it would all be hidden.

Off to Bunnings this arvo to grab the auger bit. I'll let Adam know either way.
    Cheers
    Fipsy

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Mmm, that might be a bit of a factory oopsie. You’d need to take a long series drill bit and link those pup cavities and the control cavity.
    Have you got a photo?
    Mick's suggestion confirmed what I was expecting to do, so will run with that for the moment. Didn't bother with piccies - just pockets with no holes!
    Cheers
    Fipsy

Good stuff Fipsy.
    The routing option is also viable and is one that even Fender has done, depending on the model.

Glad to hear you'll loop Adam in too. At least with a heads up he can check the rest of the kits from that batch are ok or not.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...