Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: First PB Build: Butterscotch LP Jnr

Don't forget to ground the copper tape in the pickup rout. I'd just (copper) tape down the ends of a bit of wire running between the control cavity shielding and the pickup rout shielding.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Don't forget to ground the copper tape in the pickup rout. I'd just (copper) tape down the ends of a bit of wire running between the control cavity shielding and the pickup rout shielding.
    Good call!

Quote Originally Posted by jugglindan View Post
    That's looking really really good. No wonder you are excited. I also love the simplicity of a single pickup. It's possibly something I could never bring myself to do, which is why all my guitars end up with complicated wiring and switching options. But then the temptation is to spend too much time fiddling. I should heed the advice of The Who and pick up my guitar and play...
    Thanks! I had an Orville jnr a while back and I loved that simplicity. The next one might be more complicated.....

Just managed to convince myself, with my partner’s help, that it wouldn’t be obscene to order another one even before I’ve finished this one. Es335 up next.

Getting close now...thinking of doing some coats thinned put to get more even coverage, thinking turpentine would be fine for this? Any reason it wouldn’t be?

Just managed to convince myself, with my partner’s help, that it wouldn’t be obscene to order another one even before I’ve finished this one.
    Mate, you'd crazy not to!!!
    You obviously haven't been paying attention around here.

Also, I just saw your pics from a few days ago, that's looking really nice!
    I wasn't sure about the timber "hardware" as a concept, but after seeing it, it definitely works! I likes it!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Mate, you'd crazy not to!!!
    You obviously haven't been paying attention around here.

Also, I just saw your pics from a few days ago, that's looking really nice!
    I wasn't sure about the timber "hardware" as a concept, but after seeing it, it definitely works! I likes it!
    Thanks didn’t see this!

Getting very close now, did a good load of work today.

Coats of oil are done, last 5 or so on with a 50-50 gum turps to oil mix. Very smooth.

Gave it a couple of days and started drilling and fitting hardware,

-neck drilled and bolted
    - wood neck plate no good so switched to metal (expected)
    - temporsry kit pickup set and drilled
    - strap buttons drilled
    - tuning keys fitted.

Now...does anyone have a method of setting the tuning keys evenly with these odd gibson style kit since there is no way to line them up? Or am I drilling just by eye?

Looking like a real guitar...I think the next one is coming tomorrow. I was too excited by my idea of making a short scale for my partner that I told her, hence ruining the nice surprise, maybe providing encouragement? Maybe unwanted pressure although she assures not and seemed pleased with the idea of designing her own guitar. So thereks my next two projects set.

-

Either find a suitable headstock template on line and print that out, or get a bendy ruler (the type used to draw curves), then draw a line each side following the edge of the headstock a certain distance in to suit the tuners, then mark off equal distances along the line for the tuner holes.

On my Gibson LP, the tuner centres are 35mm apart, with the two E tuners spaced 64mm (2.5") from the headstock side of the nut.

The PBG pre-drilled headstocks have the two E tuners at least another 10mm away from the nut.

So I'd be driven by the shape of your actual headstock, as the Gibson measurements may look wrong if the headstock is longer than you'd expect. But 35mm centres is a decent value. You don't want to go much smaller than that.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast