Thread: Advice on oil finishing options

Advice on oil finishing options

G'day friends,

Working my way through a GS-2Z build and would love some finishing advice.

Had initially planned to stain it red, but have decided instead to go down the natural oil route. I'm leaning towards Tru-Oil, the only concern there is around creating too much of a golden/yellow/amber hue - and am hoping to achieve something along these lines:

Name:  images (8).jpeg
Views: 253
Size:  11.4 KB

Is Tru-Oil my best bet, or is there a different product I should look into instead? Living in an apartment, I can't go for any spray-on options.

For reference, this is what the body currently looks like after sanding to 400:

Cheers!

I think Tru-Oil will get you exactly where you want to go. Yes, it is slightly amber, but it's a light amber, not yellow. As long as the base colour isn't blue, it won't look that different to a totally clear finish. It will darken a bit with age, but then that can be said for many finishes, so it's not unique there.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I think Tru-Oil will get you exactly where you want to go. Yes, it is slightly amber, but it's a light amber, not yellow. As long as the base colour isn't blue, it won't look that different to a totally clear finish. It will darken a bit with age, but then that can be said for many finishes, so it's not unique there.
    Thanks Simon. I think if I can't wrangle any extra veneer to test tomorrow, I'll go ahead with the Tru-Oil.