Thread: Dyes, locally sourced, ie not from internet.

Dyes, locally sourced, ie not from internet.

Best locally sourced( ie from paint retailers or hardware stores) dyes for a maple top. I’m awaiting some dyes, which will be over a week or so to arrive. These will be dingo tone.
    I want to get started on the process, so any advice on what is good to use, beaut finish, of coarse with elbow grease... and I can get in my car and buy today?.

It will be a black and blue burst, with high gloss clear on top.

All advice appreciated.
    Cheers

Matt

Have a look for Daler Rowney FW Acrylic Artists Inks in your local art store. They are great. Used them on my black and blue burst.
    #1 TL-1Q - First build ... aborted
    #2 TLA-1 - Blue with Black Burst - Complete
    #3 NonPB ES-335 - Red Flamed Maple - in progress
    #4 ES-1TL - on order
    #5 PRS-1 - on order

Further to what Marze said, inks form your local art supplies store (Eckersley's???). Just be sure they're specifically water-based or alcohol-based inks. The alcohol ones will dilute in metho.

Another option would a wood turner's supply store (or similar). They should have a range of timber dyes. The one I've used is U-Beaut water-based dyes. Not all suppliers sell individual colours, so you may have to buy a whole pack. I paid $39 for a 7-pack, but having an assortment of colours was fine for me.

FWIW, alcohol-based inks/dyes will raise the grain less than water-based, but either will work. Just personal preference.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I just use rit fabric dyes, I did post somewhere which I tested and worked well on guitars

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Further to what Marze said, inks form your local art supplies store (Eckersley's???). Just be sure they're specifically water-based or alcohol-based inks. The alcohol ones will dilute in metho.

Another option would a wood turner's supply store (or similar). They should have a range of timber dyes. The one I've used is U-Beaut water-based dyes. Not all suppliers sell individual colours, so you may have to buy a whole pack. I paid $39 for a 7-pack, but having an assortment of colours was fine for me.

FWIW, alcohol-based inks/dyes will raise the grain less than water-based, but either will work. Just personal preference.
    I've been searching for other staining options too. There's not much about for timber. Thanks for the tip McCreed. I'll look into those dyes. I wonder if they could be mixed in with linseed oil?

Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Woltz View Post
    Thanks Woltz. I'll check them out too.

Also on ebay here.
    I have bought from this bloke.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Angelus-...frcectupt=true
    Cliff

Thanks Cliff. I just watched a vid on using it. Seems to be a good way of staining..