Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: TL-1L First build

TL-1L First build

Good morning.

Hope all is well

As mentioned in my welcome post that while I am waiting on my custom guitar kit I might as well order a tele kit while i wait. One they actually have in stock. lol

Well today was the day it arrived.

Fist impressions? Pretty bloody good. Could not fault much with it. A big thanks to Adam and the team for such a wonderful product.

Only issue is this. Which is inside the control cavity so who cares easy fix.

Neck looks like good fit.

Guard should hide this

Mock build

Scale length

Strings attached
    Should be close enough i think

Frets. No real sharp edges. Shouldn''t take much to fix. Could not check neck level as still waiting on notched straight edge.

Only concern so far is hope the stain i was hoping to use will be ok with the darker center board on the body.

Stay safe

Steve
    Last edited by Twodogies; 23-04-2020 at 08:57 AM.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Looking good. I'd be trying to get the strings to run with the Low E a little closer to the edge. The smaller High E may tend to slip off the fretboard the way it is at the moment.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Further to what Sonic said, and referencing your photo of the gap at the bottom of the heel (5th from top) I think if you fix up that corner radius in the pocket on the bass side, it will close that gap as well as align the strings to where they should be.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Hi guys

Thanks for your input.

Made the following changes as recommended.

Should i go further?
    Maybe just a touch?
    No! Take it easy it's just your first kit.
    Sorry been in quarantine too long started talking to myself lol

Worried about going to far that's all. Nothing is screwed in place as yet so if close enough i might be able to get it spot on when i go to screw bridge plate in place.

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    That looks much better.

To locate the bridge you need temporarily attach the neck. Then you know when you screw it back on after finishing the alignment will be correct.

Fit the low and high E tuners and run ordinary string over the nut to the bridge saddles. Check the alignment as you have here, then make sure you have 648 to the High E saddle from the inside of the nut. The saddle should be adjusted mostly forward. Every thick string will need to be a bit longer for intonation, so you mostly want to ensure you have adjustment backwards.

Once you have it in place, mark it up. I then recommend checking the pickguard fitment. People normally find that enlarging the bridge cavity lets you move it about 3mm closer and make the gap from bridge to pickguard look right.

If you have a look at this build thread you can see me going through the discovery process with this.

https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ead.php?t=8005
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Yes, good work. That heel sits in the pocket very nicely now.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks McCreed.

Sonic..thanks for link. I am waiting on a non PBG pick up so I might wait till that arrives and see what routing etc I may need to do before lining up.

Going to do headstock shaping and finishing while I wait so still plenty to do

Thanks again to you both for your advice so far.

Have a nice weekend

Good morning

Headstock complete. To be honest only so so but as it was my first attempt I am fairly happy

Just need some advice please.

For the neck finish not sure what to do. I am looking at 2 options.

Feast and watson golden teak. Stain fretboard and back of neck. Back of neck finished in wipe on poly with only pitbull wax on the fretboard over the teak stain.

Or

Pitbull Acacia neck kit to stain fretboard and back of neck. Use the final coat on back of neck with just the pitbull wax over the acacia fretboard stain no final coat on fretboard.

Just worried about compatability between the 2 different mixes. Say mixing water based stain with a spirit based finish. I think that's what I mean lol.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Steve

The headstock looks great. I know how nerve wracking it can be to start cutting, so well done!

Unfortunately I can offer no trustworthy advice on neck finishes as I am yet to finish mine and my body finish is not without several issues

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast