Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: TL-1L First build

Good afternoon

Well that was an interesting two weeks or so.

Spent hours trying different colour combinations but just couldn't find a colour I liked. So I thought well the guitar I am basing this off went through a few changes anyway so why not stain it the way it was originally. So black it is. Just used Feast and Watson Black Prooftint.

Do you think 20 coats of Feast and Watson's Wipe on Poly is enough.

Started with 2 coats of stain then sanded. Sanded back with 240 then another 4 coats of stain. Left dry for 2 days.

Then used the slurry method to apply the wipe on poly. Using 1500 sandpaper sanded the wipe on poly into the body. Left dry 6 hours then another layer of wipe on poly with 1500. Let dry 24 hours. Then just applied thin coats of wipe on poly leaving 6 hours to dry between coats. Then after every 3 coats of poly gave a nice going over with 0000 steel wool removing any runs or high spots.

Some of the stain seems to have soaked more into the wood then other places. One spot is covered by the pick guard and the spots on the back can only be seen on a certain angle.

But it's cool. Not to concerned actually. Funny enough I was going for a used, worn look. Didn't want to do a relic but wanted something a bit rough.

Logo added.

Neck done with 8 coats of Wipe On Poly.

Again the neck is not the best but sort of what i was going for that played look.

Now just have to wait 2 weeks while the poly hardens. Hopefully my custom ES 3 kit will be here soon so I can make a start on that while I wait.
    Last edited by Twodogies; 26-06-2020 at 05:59 AM.
    If it aint broken...break it and build something better

Now for the interminable wait to flatten and polish! Looking good mate!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    Now for the interminable wait to flatten and polish! Looking good mate!
    Hey FW

Thanks for your compliment. Sort of happy how it is going so far. I'll give it 6 out of 10 at this stage lol.

As this is my first build and have not done woodworking since high school in 1982 this is more of a trial run for future builds. Testing this trying that. I have learnt so much during this build and even if it turns out only ok I am more than happy with the experience i have got and the build has taught me patience lol.

As for the waiting for curing looks like it may not be that bad. Got the dreaded phone call. Yep looks like may be heading back to work so will help with the frustrating waiting time lol.

And there's always the garage to clean up after the build lol.
    Last edited by Twodogies; 26-06-2020 at 06:23 AM.
    If it aint broken...break it and build something better

4. Liked by: FrankenWashie

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8